The Curious Case of Christopher Cantwell

The judge thinks hate speech is a threat. These stories should all have the judges name. The main stream media truly sucks.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/virginia/articles/2017-08-31/bond-denied-for-white-nationalist-after-prosecutors-appeal

TV station WVIR reports the judge reversed a lower court’s decision Thursday that had set bond at $25,000. The judge ruled Cantwell is a flight risk and his hate speech makes him a threat to others.

To compare some other cases in VA with $25,000 bonds.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/5835787/shifflett-given-25000-bond

The man that led police on a week-long manhunt back in October got bond Tuesday. Elvis Shifflett was given a $25,000 bond in Albemarle General District Court Tuesday afternoon.

Shifflett faces numerous charges stemming from an attempted shooting in Charlottesville Court Square and an incident that put an Albemarle County School under lockdown. He was also shot by a Charlottesville police officer after a chase near Route 20.

1 Like

He needs to take the plea and go to Mexico.

Pretty much.

This is the first MSM article that even mentions Deandre may have struck someone. But he had a good reason. Lol. It also says he is a former special ed teacher assistant. It’s pretty amazing to see how this stuff gets reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/finding-the-white-supremacists-who-beat-a-black-man-in-charlottesville/2017/08/31/9f36e762-8cfb-11e7-84c0-02cc069f2c37_story.html?utm_term=.1452c9c19994

First, a white supremacist attempted to spear a counterprotester with the pole of a Confederate flag. Then, DeAndre Harris, a former special-education instructional assistant, swung a flashlight at the man, possibly striking him.

Yeah. He’s fucked.

The county’s head prosecutor Robert Tracci came out to argue to keep him locked up…for pepper spray. The judge’s husband is/was a cop on the Charlottsville PD, Sgt. Randy Higgins. The lawyer Chris has, Elmer Woodard, is shit. I am in shock that Cantwell took the stand and testified. What kind of lawyer would allow that?

On the stand, Cantwell claimed that he’d been “distressed” during the Aug. 11 rally and reiterated that he’d used his pepper spray to ward off attacks by protesters. He added that he’d lost track of the number of death threats he’s faced since the rally, and added that Woodard had been his fourth choice of an attorney after several others declined to take his case.

On cross-examination, Tracci asked Cantwell to clarify what kind of topics he spoke on in his capacity as a “shock jock.” Cantwell stated that his platform focused on “race relations” before eventually stating that he “do[es] a racist podcast.”

This prompted Tracci to ask if Cantwell was in fact a white supremacist, but Higgins sustained Woodard’s objection of the question, calling it irrelevant to the hearing at hand.

During further questioning, Cantwell said that if he was released, he would be able to stay in Virginia with someone he met during the rally but did not know very well.

The need to view the video was negated when Tracci then asked Cantwell to verify comments he’d been seen making in the video, which included claims that white nationalist groups had “shown restraint,” that Heyer’s killing was “justified,” that “more people are going to die before we are done here,” and that he and his cohorts had “gassed up those k---- and t-------.” Cantwell admitted to each comment, with slight revisions on some.

Asked whether he meant those comments, Cantwell again chalked them up to his “radio personality,” saying that his radio program was intentionally shocking and that “the purpose is to make money.”

“His business is to shock people,” Woodard said later in the hearing, further adding, “If he was a flight risk, he would have flown.”

After a long review of the evidence, Higgins said there were too many questions raised about the clashes to consider the self-defense metric raised by Woodard, and that while he may be a “shock jock,” his comments following the rally should not be ignored and “tend to show a certain level of approval of the violence that was used.”

She further noted that his living situation in Virginia was “simply too tenuous,” and ordered him held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail without bond. His next court appearance is set for Oct. 12.

I wonder if he really had a hard time finding a lawyer because they knew, without saying anything to him, that he was in for some “special treatment” from the prosecutor.

Cantwell’s attorney is Elmer Woodard, who appeared in court wearing an early-1800s-style red waistcoat with gold buttons, bowtie, white muttonchop whiskers, black velcro shoes, and a a 1910s-style straw boater hat. Cantwell said Woodard was his fourth choice for legal counsel after three other lawyers declined to take his case. (Woodard previously attempted to defend a client accused of sexual assault by a 15-year-old girl by claiming that the man’s sleepwalking caused him to rape her.)

1 Like

Sometimes you just couldn’t make this stuff up.

3 Likes

Dude’s getting the chair!

I saw that last night when I googled the lawyer and almost fell out of my chair.

The picture is a little deceptive…the building is pretty long. But still…lol

http://www.thelibertyconservative.com/christopher-cantwell-i-face-up-to-60-years-in-jail-for-defending-myself/

Argentina is much nicer and less likely to approve of his extradition.

On the left. I can’t wait until the Coen Brothers movie comes out about this.

1 Like

Nice. I couldn’t find a pic. I was in “pics or it didn’t happen mode”.

I would binge watch a 10 part Netflix documentary about Elmer Woodard.

It looks like a lawyer is trying to get some of the 166k Deandre raised.
http://www.nbc29.com/story/36234860/attorney-of-deandre-harris-expected-to-file-lawsuit-for-attack-at-unite-the-right

Harris’ attorney says Harris is still recovering from the incident.

“He doesn’t like going into public places. He tried his hand at going to purchase a pair of shoes at the mall and got really anxious and had to leave and is just having a real difficult time adjusting to ordinary life,” said Lee Merritt, Harris’ attorney.

A different lawsuit…
http://www.nbc29.com/story/36264263/lawsuit-to-argue-charlottesville-police-failed-to-protect-man-during-rally

This article is interesting. It mentions a racist that got a year in jail for pepper spaying a black dude. Part of the punishment was being banished from living in 7 counties.

The footage has been slowed down and starts mid-conflict, so it’s tough to determine what’s going on. But it appears to show a white man and black man tussling over a flag on a six-foot pole and Harris, who is standing to the right, swinging something at the white man.

I’ve watched it like it was the Zapruder film and I cannot tell whether or not Harris made contact, but it’s clear he tried.

“You see him swipe at the pole and the man. He seems to miss both,” said Harris’ attorney, Lee Merritt, who has seen the video. “It’s defensive, at best.”

Merritt said his client was defending his friend, Corey Long, but retreated from the encounter immediately. Ramos and the other men who pursued Harris into the parking deck cannot claim self-defense under Virginia law, he said.

“You have to perceive yourself as being in some kind of danger,” he said, and a fleeing Harris was no danger to anyone.

Merritt said Harris isn’t political and doesn’t belong to any group. He is an instructional assistant in an elementary school, although Merritt said he hasn’t been able to return to work because the attack has left him with a fear of being in crowded places.

One of the people working to prove Harris was the attacker, rather than the victim, is Michael Weaver, a metro Atlanta white supremacist activist who spent a year in jail the 2010 pepper spraying of a black man in Columbus, Ga., while distributing anti-Semitic pamphlets. Weaver pleaded guilty to assault and was given a year in jail and the unusual punishment of banishment from the six-county Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit, which includes Columbus.

Since he entered the plea, Weaver has tried to get it overturned, claiming he had ineffective legal advice and acted in self-defense. Weaver was in Charlottesville as well and blamed police for creating “total anarchy” by herding white nationalist activists toward counter protesters.

OMG 10 years for pepper spray
http://m.wtvm.com/wtvm/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:9J3FCU7H

Michael Carothers was sentenced to ten years in prison with one to serve, plus he is ordered to stay away from the victims and any law enforcement officials in our area.

The judge also banished him from living anywhere in the Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit, which is all of the seven surrounding counties.

Looks like it was one year in prison, 9 years of probation.
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/latest-news/article29276428.html

Practicing censorship is risky. Once you dip your toe in the water, you’ve decided who’s a bad actor and who isn’t. When do you stop? What unpopular speech do you then dare to support? I admire those who dare to offer a service where censorship is kept to a bare minimum.

Probation is better than jail, but a conviction is still very much a societal blacklisting.

I think there’s near zero chance Cantwell is escaping this without a felony on his record, even with a plea.

Yeah, I think that is what they are going for, a felony conviction. I doubt they care about the actual punishment as long as they can make Chris a felon.

Wonder where he’ll go from that point? He’s already scraping the bottom of the barrel, advocating for racism and domestic abuse. Then he won’t be able to have his weapons, which are a major part of his character.

In theory, that wouldn’t even take a felony, but it would be the most traditional route. Maybe he should be reading up on G Gordon Liddy. Being a felon sorta seemed to HELP HIM.

which are a major part of his character.

He already gave up that gig when the testified in court that he was just doing his act for the Benjamins.

Not that I put it past his dumb fanbase to forgive him, but I doubt it.