The Curious Case of Christopher Cantwell

I liked what Sheldon Richman had to say…especially “… nonviolent bigotry is illiberal because its collectivist premise clashes with the firmest grounding of the case for individual liberty and is thus properly a matter of concern to libertarians as libertarians.” and “Therefore, when libertarians are asked if bigoted property owners should be free to discriminate, they should say, ‘Free of government force, yes, but not necessarily free from costs imposed by consumers.’ In other words, bigotry should be fought without help from the state, where appropriate, through boycott, ostracism, and publicity.”

I would think people would freak … jump, hit the ground and or run

1 Like

So, I’ve come to think Christopher Cantwell may be an archetype, if I’m using that term correctly. He is an example of a newly growing faction of people in the U.S. today. Sort of a white nationalist of nessecity. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not excusing any of racist or nationalist comments or actions.

My conclusion came from a book called Empire by Orson Scott Card. Its a very good story about a near-future civil war in the U.S. between the “Left” and the “Right”. The terms Left and Right of course are very vague and the idea of a large scale war between them is ridiculous because there are no clear geographical lines; Very different from the situation in 1861. But Card said, you don’t need clear geographical and cultural lines like we did in the American Civil War. To spark conflict in a highly diverse culture with high tension, all you need is one group to think they are being targeted.

Americans and people in general, tend not to be strongly political. Though many people have an opinion and speak out in support of one cause or another, people just tend to speak their piece and go back to buying scratch off tickets and making babies. Its only when these average people get the impression they are being specifically targeted that they start choosing sides. There are thousands of examples of this throughout history. A powerful example in recent history was 9/11. Before 9/11, people in the U.S. didn’t think much of the country they dwelt in, but after? Afterwards, there was a distinct and potent sense of patriotism. People were convinced they were being attacked because they were American. Soon enough, ordinary, little old Kansas ladies were harassing taxi drivers of middle-eastern decent. And as hilarious as that image is, it represents something dark and evil.

Its this survival collectivism that we are seeing once again in people like Cantwell. My understanding is that this recent group of white nationalist activists that Cantwell was a part of are primarily white men, between 20-30 years of age that have some college study and are not currently working or are working part time. So, it seems to me, we have a bunch of otherwise ordinary men with a lot of free time that have been shamed by liberal courses and a liberal media. Shamed for being men and for being white. I went to a West Coast liberal arts school, so I know the shaming is subtle. (One particular course on Feminism that I took comes to mind.) Little smirks, immediate dismissal of the male or white perspective, any unique opinion results in either societal banishment if not outright backlash from your peers.

Is it any wonder these otherwise ordinary, peaceful people are banding together in opposition to this perceived threat and escalating the conflict from shaming to threats and sometimes violence? Again, let me be clear, I believe I understand this phenomena, but I do not condone it. This trend towards collectivism/tribalism is the last refuge of a man with no intellect and no drive to produce. (This is kind of a rephrasing of a George Carlin quote.)

-What do you think?

the system wants him to be seen as an archtype

Collectivist sheeple, institutional goading. Not seeing anything new in 50 years.

This is a decent thread about one of the people who got Chris arrested

1 Like

OMG, that bitch is a professional agitator. I already ran into her on Twitter. She blocked me within minutes of engaging me in a stupid debate and calling me a number of epithets. Not sure if it had anything to do with Cantwell.

…anyway, thanks for the laughs and memories.

1 Like

Cantwell thread over there

Fair and balanced. :wink:

1 Like

a tumbleweed blows through Cantwell’s legacy

I guess if the point is to be remembered at all, playing a racist on the internet is one way to do that.

1 Like

It’s pretty crazy that they deny bond all together for these guys. Why even bother with a trial?

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36422340/bond-denied-for-man-charged-in-connection-to-violent-charlottesville-assault

The Georgia man charged with kicking a counterprotester who was on the ground in the Market Street Parking Garage August 12 was denied bond this morning in Charlottesville General District Court.

Alex Michael Ramos, 33, appeared before Judge Bob Downer seeking bond for his release from Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail. Ramos surrendered August 28 to the Monroe Sheriff’s Office in Forsyth, Georgia.

His attorney, John Joyce, stressed that Ramos had no criminal record “at all” and that he turned himself in.

Assistant Commonwealth’s attorney Nina Antony said that Ramos did not immediately turn himself in after the FBI released wanted posters August 24.

Ramos said he didn’t know about the arrest warrant until a friend called and told him about it August 28. “I’ll be honest, I had a hard time thinking about it,” he told the judge, but he did go to police several hours later.

Ramos was not part of the group of alt-right protesters that have been seen in video and photographs beating Deandre Harris, according to his attorney, and he was on the opposite side of the street when he came over to the garage. “I would note he did not have any weapon on him,” said Joyce.

He added, “It may have been Mr. Harris that struck the first blow.”

Antony noted Ramos had no ties to Virginia aside from one friend in Richmond, and the “level of violence” in arguing to keep him in jail. “Mr. Ramos came into a fight he had no part in,” she said. “He strikes someone who is on the ground.” Harris ended up with multiple injuries, including a broken wrist and eight staples in his head.

Judge Downer agreed when he denied bond. “Hitting a person when they’re down and running up like that is a vicious offense,” he said.

Ramos is scheduled to be in court again October 12.

Also in court this morning was Jacob Smith, the Louisa man accused of punching Hill reporter Taylor Lorenz in the face August 12 on Fourth Street after a car plowed into a group of counterprotesters and told her to stop recording. His case was continued to November 3.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re trying to treat white people in the court system like black people were treated 50 years ago? You know, because two wrongs make a right.

1 Like

this link didn’t work for me, it might be on my end

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36430091/charlottesville-court-takes-up-cases-in-connection-to-jason-kessler

Friday, September 22, Troy Dunigan of Chattanooga, Tennessee pleaded guilty a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

“Pretty much what happened is I walked up to the protests over there at the park and saw the Nazis marching through and got frustrated and threw an empty water bottle at one of them, and then was arrested for it,” Dunigan said outside of court Friday.

Dunigan was given a 30-day suspended sentence.

“Nazis are evil and they shouldn’t be allowed to march through the streets preaching hate. It’s unacceptable, and I don’t see anything wrong with trying to stop them in any way possible,” he said.

David Matt Parrot was tried in absence Friday. A witness testified that Parrot was shouting “we will not be replaced” at the rally. The judge found Parrot guilty of failing to disperse after an unlawful assembly was declared

The witness was a cop.

When the officer told him to leave, he said Parrott told him, “We will not be replaced.”

Parrott did not appear in court Friday and was found guilty in absentia. He must pay a $250 fine.

Lol at being ordered to disperse then failing to appear. :joy:

Ok, if he thinks that throwing a water bottle at someone is going to stop them, then maybe we™ should just let them fight it out. :woman_shrugging:

I guess we know the side this government is on now, doling out “justice” as such. Essentially legalizing violence against anyone you can label out loud as the opposition.

Trying to be fair-ish here (or optimistic :tipping_hand_woman:)- throwing an empty water bottle at someone isn’t much of an assualt. Knowing nothing about Virginia judges, it wouldn’t surprise me if this is a typical sentence in a similar case without the political bs. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if the typical response was “ok, move it along.” So maybe this isn’t Virginia picking a side​:crossed_fingers:.

Somehow, using government logic, this guy isn’t as much of a flight risk as Cantwell.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/04/new-jersey-toddler-dies-after-father-crashes-car-abandons-him-police-say.html

Typically that is what I would have expected for Chirs…a really high bail that he could never raise. It is effectively the same thing as denying bail, but technically it is different.

Apparently if the FBI is involved in your arrest, judges don’t think you deserve bail.

Alex Ramos is really getting the shit end of the stick. He has been denied bail for the garage brawl with Deandre Harris, which was basically mutual combat. Alex Ramos has no criminal record.

Ramos shuffled into the Charlottesville General District Court on Monday morning wearing shackles and handcuffs. His attorney, John Joyce, asked Downer to release Ramos on bond, noting that Ramos did not have a prior criminal record.

The judge declined, saying: “Mr. Ramos is innocent until proven guilty, but hitting a person who is down like that is a very serious assault, if it’s true.”