Workout secrets/advice

There are many reasons why I’m opening a thread like this. Reasons:

1. I’m a fan of Darryl
  2. I’m obsessed with working out
  3. I like hearing and teaching fitness. If you have tips- please share

Here’s a tip. Sunglasses are a girls best friend. I’ve been wearing sunglasses like a jerk from the first time I’ve gone to gyms. Self conscious people, there is a solution! Don’t feel like a jerk, when you start seeing those gains, you won’t care how others think. Trust, try it :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

@LibertyPenguin what supplements are you taking, and are they all from Amazon?

2 Likes

If you wear sunglasses, you become invisible right?
I think I’ve seen this in a movie.

My tip is to play (team) sports if working out or walking/running is boring to you. That is the only thing that worked for me when I was fit.

1 Like

Most women feel they have to dress to look hot at the gym, then they seem shocked that they get hit on.

My wife wears “low key” gym outfits so she doesn’t get hit on as much. She doesn’t dress dumpy—she just wears “real workout clothes” that aren’t intended to be sexy. She makes it clear to men who try to engage her that she’s married and there to exercise.

Guess where we met. It was a “natural” thing for us, because we were both there to exercise, and had some nice chats in the wet area because we were both relaxing there afterward. This was during the time I spent about 90 minutes on weight training and cardio before hitting the hot tub and sauna.

1 Like

Best gear that makes me lol is the garbage bags over the clothes. But I suppose that works really well.

It seems like the wrestlers spend a lot of time in the sauna with plastic or rubber suits, trying to make weight. During a period in which I lost a little over 50 pounds, I used to wear neoprene shorts. I’d sweat so much all my clothes were soaked, and my shoes were pretty wet. I carried a rather large towel (bigger than a typical hand towel, but smaller than a beach towel) with me to keep the equipment dry.

1 Like

I’ve been trying for years to find a sport that’s pretry bad ass and I can actually find people to participate with- without having to be good at it.

Local basketball courts are hella intimidating seeing as I’m exactly five feet. Is there a website for sport meet ups :joy:

That’s amazing that you found your wife at a gym. You are one lucky guy.

I’m defiently I walking contradiction… I wear the least amount of clothes with Sunday glasses. My real fear is that people will see my god awful expressions when I’m heavy lifting. My favorite thing is doing max reps, so one can imagine how weird someone’s face would be. I’ve been going to the gym, and I don’t think one person has truly known what my face looks like :joy:

1 Like

I’ve seen people where the Bain breathing mask to the gym. I know that’s not really the name for it, but I think it’s super cool. I wanna get one

Did sweating get you tone? I heard that sweating is just water weight, that you’re really are not losing real fat.

I feel sweating is important. My wife, a yoga master, does too. While sweat is water, it’s also (yuck) waste products. More than that, though, it’s a response to extreme body heat. If you’re sweating, you’re probably working hard—especially in a gym, with air conditioning—something my wife hates.

Of course, there’s the tissue burn and the heart rate, and since you do high reps, you’re probably getting your heart rate up. I recall a chart that differentiates between fat burn and endurance workout. I think I tended to push it above the fat burn level most of the time when I was a real workaholic. If you want to burn more fat, I think you want to slow it down to the fat burning rate and work a bit longer.

It’s been a while since I paid much attention to detail, but that’s what I remember.

Back to the sweat though. YMMV on that. My sister has always complained that she can’t sweat, and when she should be sweating she gets headaches. Don’t know if men sweat more or if that’s a myth. My wife sweats plenty, and revels in it. Maybe get a feel for your own personal gauge?

This is the sort of thing I remembered:

Is this graph showing a heart rate to burn calories?
Yeah I use he hypertrophy method. What I’m really lacking in is the HITT. I want to find a sport or I really need to learn to enjoy running. I can’t find a source to locate others to play sports with

Yes, in theory if you get above that rate, you’re conditioning as opposed to burning fat, and if you get below it, you’re not burning fat. IIRC, you start burning other tissue above that zone, and if you get into the red zone, you’re “anaerobic,” meaning you’re breaking down tissue wholesale.

I think, however, that you’re still burning fat in those upper zones. It always seemed to work that way for me. You just won’t bulk up—at least in the muscle groups you’re taxing at the time. You can see how cyclists, for example, want to mix in both types of rides. If they don’t get the heart rate down on some rides, they won’t build their quads, etc.

I must have managed to work in plenty of each before I paid much attention. I built some pretty huge quads back when I used to ride around 65 miles (on a mountain bike) every Saturday. I never put on a lot of upper body weight, and when I did push it, my rides did get harder. Don’t think I ever got under 10% body fat.

Since I mentioned cycling, that’s a great solo sport in a warm climate. Hell, here in Colorado, the insane hardcore cyclists attack the mountain passes year-round! I always found running hard on my body, but I could hit the bike trail hard for four-to-six hours.

1 Like

I Now I have to go down a rabbit hole and learn everything I ever needed to know about bikes lol

Any HITT workouts for gym? I finished insanity two times and each time I hate it more and now more lol I get bored very easily

1 Like

HIIT? 24 Hour Fitness has all sorts of HIIT cardio machines. I don’t get bored cycling trails (scenery and fresh air, I guess) but regardless of what cardio I do indoors, I get bored to death, and get somewhat bored lifting. I started recording mix tapes pretty early in my workout life, and the iPod was a godsend. Of course, now it’s the phone. I have a Plantronics Backbeat Fit Bluetooth headset I like a lot, and six workout playlists. I lean heavily into hard rock for that—Joe Satriani, Thomas Dolby, Metalica, and pretty much the hardest variety I can find in my existing collection.

1 Like

I should have mentioned, perhaps, as an aside, how I originally found Free Talk Live. Not wanting to continue burning through my cardio music on my iPod while lifting and in the wet area of the gym, I decided to look for liberty-oriented podcasts. I generally listen to Free Talk Live when not doing heavy cardio.

It turns out this was shortly after the iPod came out, when they were still doing the show in Sarasota, Florida, and Mark was going by “Manwich.” I think it was before the AMP program existed.

I also listen to Cato Daily Podcast, and Common Sense with Dan Carlin (which I think may be defunct.)

1 Like

WOw you are an OG listener! That’s amazing to continue to have so much love! Thank you so much for Amping the show!!! :heart:

1 Like

Pay it forward. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey you can still ball with the shorties. The JHS kids would be about your height :stuck_out_tongue:
Baseball, Basketball, and (NYC) Handball were by sports of choice. Spend all day, every day, summer holidays in the parks. Growing up poor didnt allow for family vacations or joining gyms.

Bain breathing mask

Huh? I asked Google and he doesn’t know.

LOL. I was afraid to look.