Very interested in moving. Cost of living?

Hello everyone,

I am a young libertarian and a minimalist. Recently I have been living overseas, but plan on moving back to the US. I have a small online business which gives me a lot of freedom. However, I only make $1000-$2000. While this is a lot of money overseas, I am wondering if it will be enough to live in the Keene area, especially with a car. How much does a simple single life cost in the area? (small studio, cook my own food, cheap car, health insurance, ect.). Could I do this 1-1.5k a month?

Thanks,
Sam

Edit: Clarification:
I work from home, have plenty of savings, and am college educated. My lack of income is a more of a lifestyle choice. I don’t feel the need to work for than I need to (cost of living + some savings).

Welcome!

I’m not sure about other costs, but I know people who have paid $300-500 a month for a room in a shared home with other activists in Keene.

1000-2000 is a big swing. You could live easily for 2000.

My car insurance is $25/month but if you are young I’m sure its more. Can’t really say anything about gas because I don’t know how far away from work you will live.

If you don’t have health insurance through work, you might as well hang it up. But that’s specific to the US not to Keene.

You’re not going to find a studio apartment. If you are ok with roommates you can find a room for roughly 500-700 per month. Many include utilities and heat. Which is really the only option unless you are willing to either live in the middle of nowhere aka pay more for gas or make a lot more to pay in rent.

Cost of living in New Hampshire is very high compared to other states in America. Having your own place might be a challenge with $1k-$2k per month. It’s easily doable with roommates. I was able to rent a room in a large house for only $475 per month when I lived there. That included electric, water, and high speed internet. Good luck.

Thanks! I work from home so I will only be driving a few miles a week when running errands. Healthcare is likely the biggest problem I will face. I am under 26 (covered by parents) so I am not very familiar with the system, but I am in it for the long haul so I am trying to figure my options!

Did you remember what you paid for healthcare or car insurance? Those are what are most likely to make or break me. I suspect food, rent, and utilities, ect. can all be had for under $1000. But insurance is a mystery to me right now.

I don’t have auto or health insurance so couldn’t tell you. FYI, there is no law requiring you to have auto insurance in New Hampshire.

As for affordable food, there is an Aldi and a Walmart that has some groceries in Keene. Nearby Hinsdale has a Walmart Supercenter with a full grocery store in it. They will save you a lot of money.

You may save about $100 a month by not being in a population center, but gas and time adds up quick. The high property taxes drive up the cost of rent throughout the state.

Last time I was pricing out health insurance it was around $300 per month per person for a decent plan in Maine, and that still had pretty big deductibles.

This is a consideration if you are moving to the US, not so much NH specifically. Honestly your best bet is to just make more money by then. Or hope the ACA is repealed by then.

For me they want $300 for a 60/40 split. It’s cheaper in most cases to just pay cash. Dartmouth gives a 50% cash discount anyway. Then there is a $4000-6000 deductible. It really just doesn’t make any sense to have health insurance as if you get injured you’re not covered anyway. The traditional 80/20 is closer to $500. There are slight differences between States, but this is anywhere.

Car insurance isn’t required in NH, though I would recommend it. If you go on an insurance site and put in a zip code and your demographics they will give you a quote.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think creating a cost of living guide would be helpful for other potential new movers as well!

It is required in every other state, though. So if you travel outside of NH, considering driving is pretty much the most dangerous thing the average person does, you’re putting yourself at pretty good criminal and civil risk. Insurance is so cheap in NH anyway that it’s dumb not to have. It has such good insurance rates that people in MA try to register their cars there. That’s why when you go to register a vehicle towns verify that the owner on your residence lease matches what’s in the tax rolls, and why insurance companies also require proof of residency.

True. I don’t like to leave the State. :joy: But if you do you need insurance.

Or travel very very carefully out of state while obeying all motor vehicle laws with perfection. I’ve traveled all over America without auto insurance for many years now.

1 Like

Is your drivers license still suspended? Hard to get car insurance without one.

Doesn’t matter. I’ve boycotted auto insurance with both valid and suspended DL’s over the years. I believe you can still get auto insurance though when you’re suspended. The insurance companies are mainly concerned about wrecks and tickets for what they consider dangerous behavior such as speeding on your driving record. Suspensions for other stupid BS are not important to them.

Not true, my insurance went up when I had a 30 day suspension for more than 12 points in a year in my youth.

Can you tell me which insurance companies you’ve heard of that issue new policies even if you have a current suspension? Because every time I’ve gotten a quote they pull up my record electronically.

SafeAuto

1 Like