Very interested in moving. Cost of living?

12 points? For traffic related stuff?

Have you tried Progressive? The insurance companies should give you something. They should let you insure a parked vehicle that other people might drive from time to time. Oh… I just thought of something. Get business auto insurance instead of personal. This may or may not require a corp or LLC to get.

In case it was unclear: my license, registration, and insurance are all currently in compliance with The Law.

Still requires the drivers license of the account holder.

When I obtained business auto insurance for my LLC some years ago, I don’t think the insurance company asked for it. Just money and LLC formation documents. I had business insurance plus auto through The Hartford.

1 Like

You may be able to get an auto insurance policy as an unlicensed driver, but the question should really be will the policy cover an unlicensed driver if they get into an accident?

It will vary from policy to policy. Something about excluded drivers.

1 Like

Plug your numbers into this for rough estimates:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

We’re moving to Keene in January. Compared to Bergen County NJ everything in Keene is a bargain, but far from the best deal you can find in NH.

When you say in the area, if you are willing to live 15-30 mins outside of Keene proper you will find the cost of living drops steeply. You might want to consider buying a single wide or something similar if you could get a loan. I’ve seen some listed for as little as $15,000. Why pay rent over and over if you don’t have to.

NH is such a great place, I hope it works out for you!

It’s too bad most subdivided land lots in NH I’ve seen, even in bumfuck Egypt, have prohibitions against mobile homes in the covenants. The cheapest land I’ve seen that had a liveable one on it has been for like $80k. So then if you’re on a budget, you’re still stuck with paying lot rent…which usually runs at least $500 in NH because there are so few parks. And then your have to pay cash or use owner financing for a used one in a park, because banks won’t touch them. Plus you still pay property tax on the value of the mobile home itself in NH, no trailer on axles registration fee only loophole like in other states. And finally, they’re expensive to heat because they’re poorly insulated.

2 Likes

Hey Sam. It’s Samm.
Welcome.
Minimalist and So. NH don’t mix: Too many people. Too many liberals. Too many boot-lickers. Too much police state. Too many “laws”. Too many “ordinances”. Too many pharmacies. I hear Jay’s argument about trying to find just a mobile home on land for under 80K.
Your cost of living depends on your independence and your need to be in the system. I wish death to the system and have found that there are areas more suited to freedom lovers than So NH.
You can own 50 acres and build a camp and be surrounded by nature for less than 80K if you go north. The stars are brighter up north too because the purple “hue” from cities at night like Keene, Manch-vegas, Nashua isn’t present.

2 Likes

I heard there’s an unincorporated town near Berlin NH. Owned by a logging company IIRC.

We could all move there, and make our own laws, ordinances, open our own pharmacies, with blackjack and hookers.

If you’re willing to spend life in prison when the NH State Police and DEA raid you after collecting enough evidence to bury you, then I wish you luck!

1 Like

There are a lot of trailers in Maine. In parks, and just on some land, even in neighborhoods.

It’s a lot like the trailer park boys.

2 Likes

Of course, only after purchasing the land, duh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Right, and then they’d take it under civil forfeiture.

1 Like

Didn’t Kat Kanning buy a trailer in Keene for $20k, then sold it to some lumpy person for $1?

She was the original free keener.

Yeah.

$600 a month between lot rent and property taxes on something the City of Keene says is valued at $40k that’s always depreciating…plus any loan. If you pass the credit check requirements of the park. lol.

2 Likes