Met a very pretty female cop

In general, I’m bad at talking to ladies who I find attractive (chronic foot-in-mouth mostly).
Those of us who are in “liberty circles” are supposed to hate cops, or at least, keep a wary eye on them. That’s why I feel so conflicted when I see an attractive woman in uniform.
I’ll probably never see her again, but this is a part of my personality that I find interesting. (To say the least):yum:

2 Likes

It’s not your fault unless you act on it.

1 Like

If she was in Keene, you’ll see her again.

2 Likes

Just remember, it’s only a uniform, the skin she wears. Underneath she’s a statist, armed, trained, and willing to inflict violence. Try not to think of her as female. It’s understandable to be conflicted, but remembering that can help you avoid trouble.

On a somewhat related note, I got a speeding ticket last week.

The man who accosted me on the highway made a point of claiming to have done me a favor by falsifying the ticket to say that he had clocked me doing 63 miles per hour instead of 67, which he claimed entitled him to write me a six-point citation instead of a one-point citation. I nodded, politely.

He reprimanded me for not providing current proof of insurance. He said if he had not been able to verify it was current (which he did), he would have towed my car. I told him “that’s not very nice.” He seemed confused about how much trouble he would have caused if he had done that, but I politely explained that was my point of view.

After handing me the citation, he made a remark about my “attitude.” I found that strange, as I had not accosted him. To the contrary, it was the other way around, and I had not failed to be polite.

1 Like

I thought you were going to say something like “underneath she’s a normal person”, lol.

It’s funny how people “turn off” the soulless government worker thing outside of work. Most recent was meeting a post office clerk outside of work at a garage sale she was having, turns out she’s not actually a bitchy robot.

I can’t empathize with how some people can so easily switch personalities and turn off the human part of their brains for a job.

3 Likes

I kinda hope that I do.
:heart_eyes:

I tend to believe that these people believe that what they are doing is really helpful for the community and that “people like us” are a thorn in their side when we make their job difficult.
I’ve spent a lot of time doing the “angry libertarian” thing… Nowadays, I’ve been trying to “kill them with kindness”… Ya know?

I’ve never actually had a problem with Post Office employees, and in any case, there is an extreme difference between someone who commits aggression for a living and someone who may or may not know that their paycheck is subsidized by theft.

1 Like

Oh, I probably left something out.

The man with the gun did ask me “Do you know why I stopped you?” and I told him I didn’t. He responded with “Really? Do you know how fast you were going?” I told him no, I was watching the road. Of course, they’re trying to get you to admit guilt. For one, you never really know how fast you’re going because you’re typically not staring at your speedometer, and it could be a bit off anyway. Secondly, he could have not liked something else about my driving, so I’m prepared to answer “no” to those questions.

I’m guessing they’re used to getting deer-in-the-headlights admissions of guilt and pleading, so I had an attitude he didn’t like. I guess if I’d really pissed him off he’d have written me up for the 6-point citation, though.

I didn’t mention that I told him later I’d just had a tooth extraction (which was true—a crown I’d gotten in the 90’s had come loose and had to be replaced with a bridge) and may not have been watching my speed. Maybe that was the answer he wanted, because he responded somewhat sympathetically.

1 Like

It’s not in my best interest for my personal safety to treat them like I have a chip on my shoulder. Subtile trolling with emotional facts is much better, since it at least entertains me. Like when a cop pulled me over for the license plate not being completely unobstructed by a wheelchair lift. They put a special cutout in the bottom of the lift so you can see the plate through it, but it’s not completely unobstucted. There are literally thousands out there on the road in this State alone.

“Well, you could get a ticket.”

“I dunno, my parents can’t exactly afford to spend $3,000 on a new one. They’re both on Social Security Disability.”

“I’m just saying, you might get pulled over again.”

“OK, thank you for just the warning. Have a nice day!”

2 Likes

in defense of Postal employees; they’re told they’re not government workers so often, they believe the lie

5 Likes

I will vouch for this. The Post Office puts forth a great deal of effort trying to convince people that they are not a government agency. To the point of fraud imo. They have issued statements that used words that have technical accounting meanings such that used in their lay meaning the statements mean the opposite of what they are intended to convey. I would not fault a non-expert for thinking the Post Office is private, especially if they have looked into it.

Yet, IIRC, they’re a “protected class,” meaning you get extra trouble if you mess with them.

1 Like

If you throw away a used Priority Mail box, you can technically be charged with a felony under Federal law for “misuse” of Postal Service property. The cardboard boxes always remain property of the USPS, and “misuse” is never defined. That’s how ambiguous it’s worded…

2 Likes

IIRC, they claim to own the mailbox you put in front of your house, too. I believe there are also specs regulating its dimensions and construction.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure that the guy who stamps envelopes knows that though.

I chatted with a couple of friends tonight at Taco Tuesday about my “encounter”… They were very encouraging and one of them knew who she was and offered to help get her contact info. I declined saying that I didn’t want to get all stalker-like.:yum:

1 Like

I know that there is a shortage of libertarian women and you may have to settle for a statist, but you don’t have to settle for a cop.

1 Like

I made a mailbox in college as a sheet metal project. I was rooming in another guy’s house at the time, and we put it up as the mailbox. IIRC, that’s exactly what happened—the mailman expressed displeasure with it (it was huge—I wanted my tabloid size computer magazine to fit in it.) He may have griped that it didn’t have a lock. It was a long time ago.

I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t go for me anyway, so I shouldn’t be in any danger.:joy:
This thread was more of a mental exercise than anything else.
I’m not sure why I’m not desirable as a mate, but I’m learning to live with it. :grin:

1 Like