Ian's Sentencing Continued to October 2nd

Originally published at: Ian’s Sentencing Continued to October 2nd | Free Keene

Big thanks to the multiple dozens of supporters who came out from as far away as Nevada today to attend my sentencing for the Crypto Six case in federal court in Concord, NH. Surprisingly, the judge was only able to get through part of the sentencing and postponed it three more weeks until my attorneys have a chance to argue why he shouldn’t order restitution. Of course, one major reason is none of my “crimes” had a victim, but that’s not stopping the prosecution from pushing for me to pay the price for what scam artists did to elderly victims.

It’s worth noting that, as we learned at trial from their own witnesses, the feds never bothered to investigate the scammers at all. Instead they disingenuously got some of the scam victims to believe that *I* was somehow behind the scams, which is absolutely absurd and backed by zero evidence. However, the poor victims clearly want to blame someone and for someone to be punished for what was done to them, and I’m apparently the scapegoat.

My attorneys, Mark Sisti and Richard Guerriero, have two weeks to file their arguments. Meanwhile, I’m still out on bail restrictions. Prosecutors are pushing for a maximum sentence of 20 years, and $20.5 million in “forfeiture”, and more in “restitution”. All for selling bitcoin without asking government permission.

If you’re able to come out for the second and presumably the final sentencing date, I would appreciate it! The next date is October 2nd at 10am, at 55 Pleasant St. in Concord, New Hampshire. You will need an ID to get into the federal courthouse, and recording devices are not allowed.

Here is some media coverage from today:

I highly recommend contingency pay as a litmus test for hiring a lawyer, especially for this much stakes as the highest paid attorneys work for contingency pay as high as 33% of the customer awards. Its kinda like asking them if they’ll take “double or nothing” in other games.
Government induced forfeitures done in many states follow the same tried and true heavy motivations.

In a real world free market example, I had a friend needing a kidney, a couple bitcoin were pledged to potential donors. The market spoke, my friend died due to no supplier…
Justice is similar but higher stakes and less free of a market.

I thought the suggestion I heard a caller make on the show the other night was a good one. You weren’t on, Ian; I believe Captain Kickass was one of the hosts that night. The caller recommended bringing in expert witnesses for the sentencing, noting that the prosecution brought in witnesses. In fact he mentioned having some expertise in prosecution himself – he could have even been offering himself as an expert witness, although he didn’t say so. Sounded like a friend of the show, it might be worth reaching out.

Was the fact that the government hasn’t even tried to go after the actual scammers mentioned in court? I hope so, or that you can get it in the record somehow if it hasn’t already been stated in so many words. Do you get to cross-examine witnesses for sentencing? Asking the scam victims whether they are aware of this and how they feel about it could be a good tack. Even if the question is ruled out of order, they won’t be able to un-hear it.

Yes, that was Sheriff David Hathaway who suggested it. I’m not real clear on the types of appearances at sentencing, these people who appeared for the prosecution were not sworn in and not subject to cross. I intend to clarify that with my attorneys.

1 Like

NH state rep arrested Sept. 2023 for openly trying to film the sentencing process.

a question: Is ian still facing a failure to pay taxes charge? what is that called exactly? also what is the charge that most obviously sounds victimless?

1 Like

Hindsight 20/20, seeing all the info now makes me envious of the lawyers working this case. Even for a 25% contingency fee on the seized assets, I’d like to run the case, couldn’t have done worse than those jokers as of now, as far as the money goes. Perhaps keeping Ian out of the can and delaying his followers from rioting is the most good his government affiliated employees have done thus far?

[Regarding your question, here’s an accurate summary AFAIK of the charges and rationale for conviction:

"Freeman, 42,](Freeman found guilty on all counts in federal crypto-currency trial) of Keene was found guilty on all counts of money laundering, conspiracy to launder money, operation of an unlicensed money transmitting business, and four counts of tax evasion, federal prosecutors announced.

Prosecutors claim that Freeman, formerly known as Ian Bernard, ran a money-laundering business that catered to scammers and other criminals and had them make cash donations to Keene area churches and converted that into Bitcoin. In doing so, Freeman charged higher than normal transaction fees."