Go Topless Day, Sunday, August 25, 2024

Freedom
Regulations for Town Beaches and Boat Ramps
All rules posted at the beaches/boat ramps are included as part of this regulation, which include but is not limited to: no alcoholic beverages, no glass, no dogs, feeding waterfowl and absolutely no camping or fires.

We will have to check the posted rules regarding nudity.

Bradford
Regulating the Use of French’s Park
Section VI
Proper attire shall be worn at all times and there shall be no changing of clothes other than in the designated areas.

“Proper attire” is vague.

Lincoln
Disorderly Actions Ordinance
Disorderly Actions: A person is guilty of disorderly actions if:
V. Such person urinates or defecates on any public place or property, or in any private palce or property viewable from any public place; or to fornicate or expose one’s genitals on any public place or property, or in any private place or property viewable from any public place, under any circumstances which the person should know will likely cause affront or alarm.

A standard wording, that includes exposing genitals, but does not prohibit exposing breasts.

Francestown
Town of Francestown Beach Rules
It shall be unlawful for any person to swim or be present at the Town Beach unless such person is adequately garbed in a bathing suit or other clothing.

“Adequately garbed” is vague.

Woodstock
Disorderly Actions Ordinance
Disorderly Actions: A person shall be guilty of disorderly actions if:
III. Such person causes a breach of the peace, public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or creates a risk thereof, by;
VI. Such person urinates or defecates on any Public Place or property, or who fornicates or exposes their genitals on any Public Place or property.

Conforms to the RSA.

Center Harbor
Town Ordinances
Ordinances
6. Disorderly Actions
6:1:2 Disorderly Actions
6:1:2:1 A person is guilty of Disorderly Actions at any hour of the day if:
B. He / she:
8. Exposes his/her genitals or buttocks in a location where exposure is visible to another in a Public Place, or if any female exposes her breasts for any purpose other than to breast feed that person’s child.

Hillsborough
Town Code
Chapter 170 – Parks
§ 170-1- Prohibited acts
Acts endangering others, disorderly conduct and obscene or indecent acts are prohibited and may result in arrest.
§ 170-11 Swimming and beach regulations.
I. Changing clothes is permitted only in bathhouses.

Interestingly, nudity is not permitted in White Mountains National Forest. See

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd644828.pdf

The following towns / cities explicitly prohibit public exposure of the female nipple:
Laconia
Bedford
Windham
Hooksett
Newmarket
Meredith
Peterborough
Center Harbor

Towns / cities that parallel RSA 645:1
Manchester
Tilton
Thornton
Holderness
Lincoln
Woodstock

Towns with restrictions that apply to beaches only
Sandown

Towns / cities that have prohibitions on nudity, but where “nudity” is not defined; or where proper attire is required, but “proper attire” is not defined (for beaches only)
Newton
Winchester
Chesterfield
Bristol
New Durham
Antrim
Bradford
Francestown
Hillsborough

Towns where the rules / regulations are posted at the beaches / parks, but not explicitly included in the ordinances:
Wolfeboro
Allenstown
New London
Wilton
Madison
Freedom

Prohibition on nudity, but “nudity” not defined
Rye

All other towns / cities have no reference to nudity, indecent exposure, etc. that I can find online. That doesn’t mean it’s not there, it means I haven’t found on this pass through ordinances.
Some cities / towns seem to have no more than a zoning ordinance, or town planning regulations.

I expect to be at forkfest for one day only, Saturday June 15th, to promote participation of liberty activists in GoTopless Day. Probably arrive around noon. I have been given time and space in the Shire Society lounge to promote. They have scheduled me in for a 3pm meetup, bringing interested persons in all at one time. I will also be there before and after, until sometime between 6 and 8, for anyone who wants to stop by.
I am looking forward to meeting many people I have not had the opportunity to meet up 'til now.

A list of all of the ordinances/regulations/rules www sites that I checked for the above posts is hereby appended. I welcome any corrections or additions to the info found above.
It was originally done using OpenOffice, but I believe it is also viewable in Excel.

Town ordinances.odt (24.5 KB)

The following link is to the full video of the court proceedings against two of the three persons in the Laconia Free the Nipple incident.
It actually took place at Gilford Lake, in Gilford.
While searching the ordinances, I did have a link to Gilford beach ordinance, but failed to list the local ordinance. I will rectify that in the next post. However, Gilford must now be put on the list of places that have more restrictive prohibitions on publicly exposing the female nipple.
It is odd that so many places have ordinances against toplessness on the beach, but not anywhere else in the municipality.

Town of Gilford, New Hampshire
Town Beach Regulations
(Chapter 3)
3.4 Rules
G. Prohibitions
7. There shall be no skinny dipping, nude tanning, female topless sun bathing or exposure of genitalia allowed on Town Beach property.

“Free the Nipple”, the full length movie, can be seen on Pluto TV at

The bikerbillnh item also has many more links to toplessness in the “free state”
… I seem to remember a video shot when the Keene police tried to arrest a woman taking part in Topless Tuesday… showing Ian trying to prevent the cop from driving off… is that video still available?

I guess what I’m really trying to do here is another Topless Tuesday, but this time on a state-wide basis, interconnected with GoTopless Day, and expanded to encompass a longer period of time, perhaps over the whole day, and not staying in one place like Topless Tuesdays, but moving around the towns doing normal things that people do, but doing them topless.

All of the municipalities that have ordinances more prohibitive than RSA 645.1 are located in four counties, all in the southeast.

Center Harbor - Belknap Co.
Laconia - Belknap Co.
Meredith - Belknap Co.
Bedford - Hillsborough Co.
Peterborough - Hillsborough Co.
Newmarket - Rockingham Co.
Windham - Rockingham Co.
Hooksett - Merrimack Co.

Previously I had discovered no ordinances for Claremont.
Clarification will be needed, but for now I will add it to the list of
towns/cities that prohibit nudity at beaches and in parks.

Claremont
Code of Ordinances
Chapter 12 – Parks and Recreation
Article II. - Parks
Division 3. - Regulations
Sec. 12-75. - Swimming, swimming areas and beaches
(a) No person shall bathe, wade or swim within any park or swimming area, except at such pools or beaches therein as may be designated for that purpose by the director, and without having the body concealed by suitable covering.

Sec. 12.-76 Indecent conduct and exposure
No person shall appear in a park in a state of nudity or commit, perform or engage in any lewd, lascivious, obscene or indecent act or behavior, and no person shall make any indecent exposure of his or her person.

“Nudity” and “indecent” are vague.
Claremont is in Sullivan Co.