What is the issue with getting this account removed?

Thee-Anarchist

7d

Please let me know how to close this account.

Rodney

• created

7d

• [

last reply

](https://forum.shiresociety.com/t/what-is-the-issue-with-getting-this-account-removed/11924/6)

1h

replies

views

users

FTL_Ian

Thee-Anarchist

FTL_Ian

5d

That’s an unusual request. Why would you want to do that? I tend to think accounts should stick around as a historic record, even if they are unused. Why should yours be removed?

Thee-Anarchist

4d

“Why should yours be removed?” Why should I need a reason other than I asked you to? I thought there was a policy here that if an account is left inactive for too long it would be removed?

So if it can be removed without the user asking why not if asked? So please remove my account.

Thank you,

Rodney

FTL_Ian

1d

There’s no such policy here. Forums are records of what people said. Are you concerned about something you said here? You should be able to edit any posts that have content you don’t wish to be seen. I’m generally against erasing history, but if you want to do it to yourself, I can’t stop you.

Thee-Anarchist

1d

I have read several posts where someone has said if an account is not used for a period of time you delete it? Maybe that is not true, I don’t care either way. I am not concerned about anything I have said, if I was I would not have posted it.

Can you delete my account or not?

Thanks for your time.

Rodney

FTL_Ian

1h

I can, but I won’t. If you want to leave, please leave. Your posts will remain. If you want to remove certain posts, you may spend time doing that. I have never stated any policy of account deletion and am generally against the practice. Sorry for any confusion.

Second thread by this deletionist troll…

I’ve observed similar behavior on Facebook (example).

“Boo hoo hoo, you are obligated to delete and forget all the stupid things I’ve said here, reee!”

Telling them that archive.today (etc) have snapshots of all their public writings starts nuclear war. :smirk:

(Although in this case actually they don’t. Web-bloat / JavaScript poisoning…)

Hey dipshit, I stand by everything I have posted, I don’t care what stays, I just wanted the account closed, but the prick of an admin will not do it to be spiteful. You haven’t got a clue about me so stay the fuck out of it…

Thanks,

Rodney

Sounds like you’re projecting. You want your account sanitized, spend your own time doing it.

What part of I don’t care if the posts stay, I just wanted the account closed. Why are you being a dick about this Ian? Close the dam account leave all that I have posted. WTF!

Rodney

This is why we did “account cycling” on the old forum - it left your old posts in a read-only state, so they can’t be fucked with if your account ever got hacked.

The old FTL BBS was the only thing I ever loved. When it proved to be a honeypot run by sadistic book-burning evil gods, I lost the will to live entirely…

Oh, I thought you wanted the posts removed. I don’t know anything about an account closure feature that leaves all the posts. Besides, that would harm the posts’ searchability, too. So, just don’t log in anymore. Problem solved.

I thought you were an admin? Who runs the site? Webmaster?

Rodney