Very newbie question on bitcoin cash wallet

So while I’ve been aware of bitcoin since the beginning, never really understood how it works. Decided to take advantage of the FTL bitcoin cash offer and just searched google for a bitcoin cash wallet and downloaded it. Have no idea what the wallet is even called, when I click I get a power shell pop up saying “SPV Wallet” and then a windows box opens with the details. It gave me my public key but I’m not sure how I secure the wallet or how I’d transfer it to another. IOW, I’ve pretty much jumped in blind. If you think you can help, that would be great. Speak to me as though I’m a total idiot however because in this regard, I am.

SPV stands for Simplified Payment Verification. It means this is not a “full client” but a “lightweight client,” which does not download the blockchain and use it for verification. In short, it means your client is relying on the miners and full nodes to verify transactions, and really plays no part in it.

Why is this important? Someone has to verify transactions, and if nobody runs full nodes, verifying transactions, we have to trust the miners to verify them.

You should be more concerned, in my opinion, whether this is a “non-custodial wallet” or not. To figure this out, you need to know whose wallet it is, and ask them if it’s “non-custodial.” If it isn’t, you probably shouldn’t use it. If it is, you should find out how to store your keys and save them in case something happens to the wallet you’re using, so you can recover.

Feel free to ask questions about what parts you may not understand.

This is where I got the wallet: https://github.com/cpacia/BitcoinCash-Wallet/releases. Have to say, most of what you said sounds Greek to me.

YouTube my dude. You need to start asking YouTube some questions and follow the rabbit hole like the rest of us.
I hope this video helps answer the security question you had on the wallet. It is literally how the video explains it- don’t try to complicate it more than it is lol I for one suck at taking things face value.

But don’t feel like you can’t keep asking questions. I have come across times where YouTube didn’t have the answers.:heart:

1 Like

Where do I find my private key? I also see on another video you’re supposed to have a backup phrase? Where do you do that in the program I describe above?

I’ve never used github. The phone app wallets are super easy to use- better than the online wallets in my opinion. Download coinoimi if you’re on android. And BitPay if you’re on iOS.

They literally walk you through the steps- even the most important step of recording your private key.
You can literally walk away from that wallet you created on GitHub- as long as there are no currency on it.

When I first started out I made like five addresses/ wallets because I was testing apps and learning at the same time. Don’t buy crypto until you know how to use your wallet inside and out. That step doesn’t take long.

Like I said, I have $2 on it. Would kind of like to keep it. Don’t even know what a gihub is.

1 Like

Oh I read over the two dollar thing.
Honestly the wallet you chose looks complicated as heck.
I’m all about simple. I wish I could Skype you and literally walk you through the steps, but my laptop took a poop and it’s gone.
Hmmm… maybe someone can skype you. I’ll see if I can, would you be up for that?

Yeah, but its getting late today. One issue I also found when it comes to bitcoin is that there don’t seem to be any local places to buy them, and the online places like Bitcoin.com will tell you once you go to buy they don’t sell to Canada (which is where I am). Bitcoin is one of those frustrating things for me because I was aware of it back when bitcoins where about 25 cents each, even had a wallet but lost it but couldn’t find any sources for bitcoins. Don’t remember anything of the process at this point however.

Gee, this is the GitHub entry and doesn’t say exactly what it is. Where did you get the link?

1 Like

Ran a search on bitcoin cash wallet

Ah. You might want to consider going to Bitcoin.com and choosing a non-custodial wallet from there, then sending your Bitcoin Cash to it. You can probably get a fee under 2¢—especially if it lets you set the fee you’ll pay.

FWIW, Bitcoin.com is probably your best general information source.

1 Like

I found exodus wallet very easy to use. I’m not sure what everyone else’s opinion of it is. But i keep mine on a computer, not my phone.

1 Like