Traffic speed fine activism feedback

Hi, I’m looking for some feedback on a situation I’m going through, and also maybe some help or advise. This seems like the spot where I’d get similarly like minded advise.

In late summer or early Autumn I had a rcmp pull be over from a concealed speed trap location. He was hidden in a driveway in a spot which was at the bottom of a hill immediately before the speed limit went from a 50km/h zone to an 80km/h zone. He alleged that I was going 73km/h based on his lidar and charged me with speeding between 15 - 30 km/h over the limit. After about a year and several court dates fighting it, the court decided I was guilty and charged me a fine just under $200.

I feel that paying this fine would simply be enabling this sort of injustice to continue. This wasn’t a case of reckless speeding. This was largely a technicality based on the features of the road. Regardless, I’m hoping for some opinions.

According to our provincial laws. A person in default of payment of a fine may be imprisoned basically for 1 day per 50 dollars of the fine. Am I correct in my interpretation, that that would mean I would be able to serve 4 days time instead of paying the 190-some dollars? I’m curious what others think, and for opinions on if that would be a more ethical option than simply being compliant with financially enabling the ticketing process in that sort of situation.

All outlooks appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

The only morally correct way to handle this is to not pay and to not show up to their court,stay out of their jails, and laugh in their faces for claiming the right to order you to do anything. ALL “laws”, however piddly they may be are ultimately enforced by the threat of death. Because there is no legitimacy to such “laws” or the ones claiming to enforce them, you would be at that point, threatened by a gang ,and under Shire Agreement (and the right thing to do anyways) you could act in self-defense.
Samm

And then you die, nobody becomes freer, and your line in the sand was a speeding ticket.

Or. You kick the can down the road some more until the year is 1984. You become completely controlled without realizing it ( or are you saying we’re already there ?). Your failure to resist becomes regrets of the highest magnitudes. The next generation wonders why.
Samm

You did as much as you can by taking it to trial. You win some, you lose some. At least you tried.

Going to jail is highly ineffective. I’d probably pay the fine. My time is worth more than $50 a day. If I am going to take a vacation, I’d rather it not be in jail.

1 Like

Are you in New Hampshire? thanks for doing something in any case.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Going to jail probably isn’t likely to do a whole lot. But in principle it might be better than paying the fine. To do so seems like enabling, even at this point.

No, I’m not in New Hampshire. I’m in Mi’kma’ki.

I did 7 days instead of a fine (before they raised the credit/day).
Ultimately it isn’t worth it if you can generate more productive value although just giving them money is unconscionable, catch22?

Even worse, it’s a catch 33* because the third horn of the dilemma is that by sitting in jail you’re contributing to theft from your neighbors to cover the expenses of your incarceration.

*Yes, I know catch 33 isn’t a thing. I was trying to be clever :wink:

2 Likes

Ultimately that’s part of the reasoning behind doing it. - Hopefully neighbors would realize that The cost of enforcement, court, and prison time isn’t worth it when there are no victims.

Which is probably a success for activism in nh that they increased the credit.