To the shire!

I’m interested in moving to new hampshire. I am an ancap and here to learn more about the area and get to know some of you that already live there in order to better equip myself. I’ve found these forums through the free state project and FTL also mentioned in the LRN IRC.

Welcome!

1 Like

New Hampshire has many areas.

Hey welcome. I live in Portsmouth and there is a good ancap community here. It’s considered the “Seacoast” (beach) area as opposed to the mountains, the lakes region, the North County, Merrimack Valley (Manchester, Concord, Nashua),and Monadnock (Keene).

What kind of things are you into besides FTL and ancap things? There are a lot of fantastic restaurants here in Portsmouth if you are a foodie. There’s also a decent bitcoin scene. There’s a cool game store in the area where you can go and play any game, if you’re into that.

Hope to see you in the Shire soon.

1 Like

Welcome! You’ll love it here. Post your burning questions in this forum and we’ll crowdsource answers for you.
Deciding where to live can be tricky. Usually it depends on where you’ll be working.
Some people find useful the information here: www.NHRelocationGuide.com
Hope to see you in the Shire soon! Please plan to come to Porcupine Freedom Festival in June. It’s AnCap Central!

2 Likes

Looks like another event is challenging Porcfest’s claim to being AnCap central, @porcupine_realtor. We’ll see how it goes, but looks like they’re setting up the weekend prior to Porcfest and charging $0 to attend above the costs of campsite rentals. Should be interesting!

Here’s a thread where they’re talking about it:
http://forum.shiresociety.com/t/somaliafest-2017-june-16-20-lancaster-nh/9171/10?source_topic_id=9179

2 Likes

i’m only really concerned with finding a location that has both mass transit and job opportunities. bitcoin/games/biking trails/bike friendly streets/vegan friendly/gigabit internet are definitely a plus tho.

hi, thanks!

i’m looking for a studio or 1 bedroom for myself probably in Manchester. what are the monthly rates generally? do you or anyone you know manage a unit like this in the area? i’m looking for the cheapest available unit

looks like fun! i’m very excited to be around likeminded people :slight_smile:
you’re Ian from FTL? thats awesome! i’m so happy to be speaking with you :blush:

Transit to where?

Job opportunities in what field?

Portsmouth has private transit to Boston in a luxury bus for $17, but if you’re looking for the cheapest possible housing, it’s not here. Standard one bedroom rent here is about $1300.

It’s probably in North Country, where rent for a one bedroom can be $400 a month. But it can be lonely, and “mass transit” (usually a govt thing) and job opportunities you might be looking for are restricted to driving your own car and working for yourself.

The best situation possible is that you come with enough money saved up to live on comfortably for at least 6 months while you settle and arrange your life, and arrange to have a job ahead of time rather than looking for one after moving.

I moved from Keene to Manchester. I like Keene, but that’s where work was. And there are plenty of anarchists in Manchester. Apartments are expensive but some people rent rooms. You should probably be able to find anarchist-y/minarchist roommates for a reasonable price.

:slight_smile:
i don’t own a car and instead rely on bus/bike everywhere. i suppose manchester is my only real option? i work retail currently and make passive income from affiliate marketing. i’m looking for assembly/production/warehouse work preferably but anything else with no experience needed is acceptable.

Keene was named one of the most walkable cities in NH, along with Portsmouth, I believe. There are definitely more jobs in Manch, but New England cities are very compact. It’s a simple matter to walk all around the city of Keene - but I prefer to bike if possible. There are only some days out of the year when the roads are too slushy to bike safely.

Yes, I am FTL Ian.

1 Like

Keene also has a vegetarian/vegan buffet: http://www.countryliferestaurant.com/
and it has “The Farm Cafe”, another vegetarian/vegan joint:
https://www.facebook.com/TheFarmConcessions/

1 Like

oh wow thanks! :blush:

thats very cool, i’ll look more into keene as a possibility. i’m definitely preferencing keene over manchester if i can find a job and apartment there, especially if i can ride my bike everywhere i need to go. i was listening to you just now actually :blush:

Here are the other most-walkable cities in NH
http://www.walkable.org/article6.htm

1 Like

Manchester. I don’t own a car and Uber everywhere. My roomate rides their bike to work. I don’t think it’s the most bike friendly place though. Apparently there is a bus, but I’ve not used it. Mass transit would be terrible in NH. Rent for studio might be $700.
https://nh.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=studio&availabilityMode=0
NH has lowest unemployment rate in nation.
https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Manchester has some trails. Not a lot of bitcoin places, only a few.

1 Like

You might be a good candidate for Keene. There are bedrooms to rent here that are reasonably cheap. Ian can probably direct you better in that regard. I can attest to Team Porcupine Real Estate above, but not sure if they can help with cheap rentals or not. It sounds like a one bedroom is probably all you are in need of really and for such things I’d probably talk to people at The Quill in Manchester if you look for a job in Manchester- or Ian if you look in Keene. I know both can guide you in a reasonably cheap direction for housing for one person on a low budget- particularly in the short term (6 months- year-etc) while you look for a job.

Keene is definitely a good biking city. There are also lots of trails here both in and throughout the town as well as nearby. I believe the the Monadnock region (ie Keene, biggest city in the Monadnock Region) has the most trails and biking and stuff of that nature nearby. In fact I think it’s the Monadnock mountains here that are the most hiked mountain in the north east.

There are lots of retail jobs in Keene. I’m not sure how much manufacturing / warehousing type of jobs are left in Keene though (ie seems like that pretty much left the USA and went to China and elsewhere 20+ years ago now). Maybe PC Connection? Do they have a warehouse in Keene? Anybody know? I know they have buildings here. The manufacturing/warehousing industry doesn’t seem like something found as much in this region (New Hampshire) although I’d think New Hampshire would be a perfect place to setup warehouses given it’s near Massachusetts (ie Boston, large population center, etc) and there are no sales taxes here (so maybe I’m wrong?).

Keene is definitely well known for Bitcoin. We’ve got a very active group here that meets regularly and is working on promoting Bitcoin to local businesses, introducing it to the greater community, etc. There have been advertisements on the radio, in the newspapers, and lots of us give out Bitcoin Tip Cards (alongside FRNs/cash) to promote its use. Keene activists are/did lead the way at the state house in getting the state to hold back on its regulation of crypto currencies / Bitcoin and getting laws amended that have done bad things to Bitcoin/crypto currencies in New Hampshire.

I’m not sure that the sea coast would work for you- but Steve and Derick J are out in that area. I’d probably look there myself over Manchester- but the cost of living isn’t as much of an issue for me. I came from high priced NJ and brought an income that can handle it (though I am doing better here than NJ due to the lesser cost of living here despite living in Keene which has high property taxes for New Hampshire- but still less than where I came from in NJ).

I don’t think you are going to find Gigabit internet anywhere in New Hampshire quite yet… but it’s coming. I’ve got 25/25 fiber connection. That might seem slow for fiber standards, but the local fiber network in Keene can handle 1 gigabit speeds and I suspect we’ll be connected via something faster to the greater internet in time. Even now you can get 50/25 and something faster than that. It just costs an arm and a leg. The install for me wasn’t too bad: $3,000. However I’m on a main road that had fiber running down it already and the poles were all licensed already. Others have had quotes of $17,000. Cost per month is $120-$200 depending on the speed. 25/25 is $150 here. Cable internet is also available, but you won’t get the fast up speeds that you get with fiber nor super low latency. So… depending on what your needs are… just keep an eye on where you move. I’d actually email or call http://www.wivalley.com/ and find out where there fiber lines are run wherever you decide to go if you want fiber. They advertise gigabit fiber- but that is probably only for other towns they’ve connected and/or maybe businesses willing to pay a significant premium. Not sure this is really an option for someone who is looking to rent cheap- but it’s something to consider as you move on upward financially/look to buy/etc (and if you plan it right you probably can buy some place cheap with fiber on a fairly tight financial budget even working in the retail sector- if your looking at moving up the financial ladder- like assistant manager, manager, etc though you might need to eventually learn to drive and buy a car- but there is no mandatory insurance and a few thousand dollars will probably be sufficient for a reasonably reliable car if you decide to buy a place outside town or in smaller “village”/town nearby- like maybe Alstead or something like that).

I’d 2nd Ian’s comment on Somalia Fest. I’m going to try and make that and following that event Porcfest. If we can make Somalia Fest a success maybe we’ll have a freer greater event than what’s been happening with FSP’s events over the past year or so (the FSP has banned three or four people over the years, some rightfully don’t hold libertarian views, some may hurt the migration’s or FSP’s reputation outside the principled libertarian community, but personally I think banning people for non-coercive (threat of violence to particular individuals or groups outside of self defence) thoughts and communications is the exact opposite message you want to send if you truly want to attract freedom-loving people- in fact the best way to show and demonstrate you support freedom and liberty (at a private liberty event) is by letting those people who have “dangerous” views speak). What I would have done in response to comment (from the media) on those whom are on the fringe is utilize it as an opportunity to state that FSP has no political views of its own outside of the FSP’s statement of intent and any violent or coercive actions of attendees will be handled at the time of their events should they occur at any given FSP event.

One of the reasons I moved to Keene, New Hampshire was because of Keene’s reputation for activism and a means of communicating that to the world. It’s attracted some of most active and radical (peacefully so) activists. While I moved during a time of relative calm it was with the foresight and realization it’ll continue to attract those sorts of activists. We’ve seen over the past year activists burn out, but we have also seen new activists arrive whom are easily as determined to make a splash in New Hampshire. From driving without a license and registration to “cop blocking” there are people here willing to step over the line for the sake of liberty and freedom. Something you’ll not find to the same degree anywhere else.

1 Like

thanks for your time! Keene looks so comfy! i really wish i can find work there. i probably won’t move for a few more months… i’ll be watching til then :slight_smile: