Thom, the Libertarian Bard

Thom ‘Mormhran’ Potter

Not so long ago in a land not so far away …

I rejected the Church in the latter part of the 80s, and soon went on a path that took me to the Druidic Craft of the Wise, First Church of Satan, and now the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids and The Asatrú Community. I’ve visited the Vampire Church, the House Kheperu, and the Temple of Set. And yet I keep seeking a hermit to lend me their light. I suppose I’m like John Bunion’s Pilgrim, passing through gates and countries, looking for answers. The journey has become comfortable, and I appreciate those who travel with me, as friend or foe. I suppose this condition effects any who wander from the social mean.

While growing up in Canada I enjoyed an abundance of folk lore. I cut my reading teeth on The Jungle Book (1894) by the English author Rudyard Kipling. Whether on TV or the library I’ve followed the old tails, the heroes, hoping to become one, or companion to one. I even began my journey to becoming bard or bragi, telling stories as grand as any found in the Odyssey, Mabinogion or Eddas. Then we moved back to California. Still, I sought out the gods and heroes of legend in even the most paltry of sources, such as encyclopedias. I even graduated to Tolkien and his good friend CS Lewis. With all that going on I felt more at home with the fairies of Wales and the gods of Scandinavia.

In 2016 I began the Bardic course through the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. Immediately, I heard about Nathaniel Branden’s work, and then Marshall Rosenberg, and a deeper appreciation of Ayn Rand’s philosophy. Thanks to them it will take me a second year to work through this new gate. Well, took Gwyon Bach three, so maybe enjoy the patience (isn’t that Latin for suffer?) I’ve cultivated over the last twenty years. I’ve also become involved with The Ásatrú Community.

Well, that’s a lot of words to say, I’m a Pagan-Bardic-Heathen, interested in the Electric Universe and ways to survive and be useful in the next winter. I’m in pursuit of meaning and purpose in my struggle to exist.

May the Forest nourish your hope.
Thom, the Libertarian Bard

1 Like

Welcome!

Why exist when you should be thriving? I believe that the massive substance abuse problem our country faces is that most people do not have a purpose. Everyone should have several. What Napoleon Hill says about definiteness of purpose was a key factor in my quest for self improvement and understanding.

Welcome to the forums, Libertarian Bard.