Stoned Meadow Of Doom [Fest!]

The greatest thing to happen in rock music in the last three years was the formation of Nebraska libertarian Clint Beed’s massively popular YouTube channel Stoned Meadow Of Doom, “SMoD” for short.

SMoD showcases full albums of underground rock bands from around the world. In the description of every video is a review of the album and a link to the band’s Bandcamp page where fans can purchase their music directly. The necessity of SMoD was born out of the failure of popular rock to remain relevant. Mainstream rock for years has appealed to the lowest common denominator with watered-down lyrics and overmixed harmonies designed for maximum overplay. Music on SMoD is selected for its quality and commitment to the soul of stoner rock, organically created hard-hitting masterpieces. Psychedelia is the heart of the stoner rock genre, deep grooves being carved with fuzz tuned guitars and extended instrumental weaves. Album covers within the genre make loud and lasting statements, enhancing the ambiance of each album with themes ranging from deep space adventures to driving muscle cars down desert highways. Where SMoD used to receive suspensions because of copyright disputes from minor labels (despite having the band’s consent), he now earns their gratitude for featuring their music. SMoD has been an invaluable medium connecting today’s greatest rock bands to fans looking for fresh material in an otherwise dying genre.

takes english comp hat off

I’m a huge fan and supporter of SMoD because through the youtube channel, I’ve found dozens of amazing bands and have been able to share my enthusiasm with fans across the world. I even hold the distinction of being the only redeemer of the top reward in SMoD’s kickstarter campaign last year, the reward being lifetime admission to SMoDFest. Last year I drove from Louisiana to Nebraska for the inaugural Stoned Meadow Of Doom Fest. This year, I’m roadtripping to Sioux Falls, SD to attend the second annual SMoDFest, Sept 29-30. I wholeheartedly believe this is the future of real rock music. If anyone is interested in joining me, I’d love to have the company!

2 Likes

What little I’ve listened to it (my laptop is out of commission) I’ve loved. Great Youtube channel.

Can you get them to play at PorcFest or other NH festival? I like them because while high they sound like a jam band but rock & roll and have beautiful melodies and repetitive beats. It’s kind of like downtempo rock.