Should Forkfest go back to being pre-Porcfest?

We’ve had three years pre-Porcfest, two post. If you’ve attended both variants, your feedback is welcome.

I thought the pre-Porcfest was better, but I don’t think that was the general consensus, and I kinda still think that might be the case. One of the problems we have with it being post Porcfest is that a lot of people attend both events and then burn out and end up leaving before Forkfest is actually over. If people are going burn out it’s probably better to do it ahead of Porcfest. However that said there is an argument to be had for doing it until the weekend of July 4th given the fireworks and it probably did work out better for me being over the July 4th weekend. I think there was less for me to have to deal with business wise because more people were away during the holiday period and leading up to it. By comparison when we have done Forkfest before Porcfest I was running into problems with other conflicting events and/or large business deals having to be taken care of which can sometimes be a challenge to do from the road.

1 Like

Can someone share this link with the Telegram chat, please?

Caller to FTL tonight, John in NY says he likes afterwards because it slows down and includes the fireworks show.

John didn’t like when Forkfest was pre-Porcfest because the Porcfest security came in and ruined the vibe.

That security impact was a major reason we moved it to afterwards.

Yes, we didn’t see any of that this year or prior at Porcfest or Forkfest, but then they are saying it’s going to be like the bad couple of years again so… IDK. I’d probably just stick to holding Forkfest after Porcfest again next year. If we want to talk about changing it then lets do that now for Forkfest 2023. Doing it far enough in advance will enable us to better promote the change.

Can you elaborate on the “security impact”?

If my recollection of people and events is correct a certain FSP ‘officer’ was going around and harassing people like they owned the place when they were really supposed to be HELPING people move in during the coming days.

It affected the vibe of the last day/night. The penultimate night was the biggest night the last year we had Forkfest pre-porcfest. The final night was dead because Porcfest security had arrived by that point and even though they weren’t “officially” in charge of the campground, there was definitely an impact on the vibrations of the attendees and thus, the whole event. It’s was quite palpable.

Porcfest sold out early last year, so people have to buy tickets and register early this year to make sure they get a spot. A lot of people probably booked for porc and forkfests at the same time, so if you changed it now a lot of people may have to rebook, or they might not hear that the dates were changed.

1 Like

so when is it this year 2022?

Based on the feedback from 2022’s attendees, it seems the demand is universal that Forkfest go back to being pre-Porcfest. Unofficial dates for 2023 are June 15th through 18th.

2 Likes

is that because near the 4th gets too busy … or something else?

No growth in three years, more people will be there pre-Porc, one week is too long for those attending both.

2 Likes

Where can I find out more about the problems security caused with ForcFest when it was pre-PorcFest?

1 Like

PF security?

i guess here is as good as any. ask your questions plenty of us were witness to it.

Aww- it wasn’t a big enough problem as I recall to matter. One of the porcfest reps went around and started bothering at least vendors during forkfest. Some felt that they were ordering people around. I’m not defending this one particular person, but … there are other things “security” has done at least during porcfest that is far more upsetting. Like searching peoples vehicles to “keep out” folks whom may have been undesirable and were banned. I’m not a fan of banning people even if I don’t agree with them. It’s one thing to do it in a chat room and it’s another to do it at an event because you didn’t like what they said. We should be leading by example … not doing stuff like banning people we dislike over politics or setting up “gun free” zones to please non-libertarians speaking at porcfest.

Fortunately these people don’t represent libertarians at large who have actually moved to New Hampshire. We have however had a little bit larger than desirable crowd of non-libertarians attending porcfest because of poor decisions by porcfest organizers in at least some years. And banning things like nudity or restricting it is NOT libertarian. Appealing to conservatives is NOT libertarian. We neither want conservatives to move as they will not help us nor would they have a reason to move to NH. NH isn’t conservative. It’s more libertarian and plenty of other states already are better than NH if you are a conservative.

things i remember pre pf are porc rangers driving around on the carts telling people where they cant put tents or what not. the agora valley lead or whatever you want to call them going around telling people to move tents back away from the path. looking for wristbands. i have been told i had to watch what i say in a ff telegram group where i am a admin or i will be kicked from all the pf telegram groups. over all nothing too bad but it adds up to a clouded feeling. i do remember the instant change of feeling. went from a chill environment to a more restricted. just odd for a event like PF. you should feel free.

1 Like

in some ways before makes sense … but I bet having forkfest after means that all the busybodies are gone and no buildup to their fest.

its so relaxing and nice to hang out with everyone after the crazyness

1 Like