Open Anti-White Racism on Display in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Originally published at: https://freekeene.com/2020/08/03/open-anti-white-racism-on-display-in-portsmouth-new-hampshire/

Walking down the street back to the office after a delightful lunch in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, I passed a book store window display. One book stood out to me. “Anti-Racist Baby” was the title.

“Huh, that’s odd.” I thought. I kept walking. Then I stopped and said, “I have to get a picture of this.” It made me feel really weird and bad when upon returning, I saw it was only one in an array of what appeared to be anti-white books. Yikes! Not what I would hope to see in a liberal place like Portsmouth.

I am for treating all people as individuals, believing the best in everyone, and following the Golden Rule. This seems like a step backwards, to a pre-Enlightenment era of treating individuals based on their group — in this case, skin color. Um, with great respect, I am a little confused and repulsed by what I (perhaps incorrectly) view at first glance to be blatantly racist material being promoted in my what-I-thought-was-liberal town.

I am for unity, understanding, and respect — not hate, division, and identity politics. May we all be judged by the content of our character and not by the color of our skin.