Introduction

Hello it would seem that you and I have alot of the same beliefs and ideas about the way society should be I’m a 49 yr old man and only recently found out about how this countries leaders have been wrongly treating us the citizens it is supposed to be protecting.anyway I would like to learn more about your movement I guess not sure what you all are calling it.thanks regards Ronald Finney found you on YouTube I’m thinking Keene is the perfect place for me to reside thanks for your time

Welcome, Ronald!

Hi,

Well, I like to call the general movement, “the migration of principled libertarians to New Hampshire”, and is because there are various organizations, groups, and thousands of people promoting the general migration. Every city and town has multiple different groups. It’s a very decentralized movement. However that said- it stems from a project called the Free State Project. The Shire Society is a similar sort of non-entity gathering of minds. It is “an idea as it is a physical place. Generally, it physically means the area commonly known as New Hampshire and mentally it means a place for free minds anywhere.” so we’re people who are in New Hampshire or working on moving to New Hampshire for the purpose of forming a free society.

As things stand we live in a police state with laws that target peaceful people who’ve hurt nobody.

There is this thing called the non-aggression principle that forms the basis of libertarian (principled libertarians who move here anyway) philosophy: The non-aggression principle is an ethical stance which asserts that “aggression” is inherently illegitimate. “Aggression”, for the purposes of NAP, is defined as initiating or threatening the use of any and all forcible interference with an individual or individual’s property.[1] In contrast to pacifism, the non-aggression principle does not preclude violent self-defense. The NAP is considered to be a defining principle of libertarianism.

The government using violence, theft, and coercion (threat of violence) to achieve social and political goals is therefore illegitimate. For example it would be great if everybody would stop using dangerous drugs. However the principled libertarian position is basically that dangerous drugs don’t hurt other people and so using violence (government) to stop people (ie locking them up in prisons) is unethical and an illegitimate use of force. Mandating drivers licenses is another great example. Not having a drivers license hurts nobody. Government coming in and kidnapping you for not having one on the other hand is violent and aggressive. This doesn’t mean you can’t hold people to account. If I get into a car crash and injure someone I’m still liable for my actions. There is a legitimate government interest here- but it should not be at the expense of using violence on peaceful people (ie arresting people for refusing to get a drivers license, car insurance, license plates, etc). Car insurance is actually not required in New Hampshire already and there are various other things New Hampshire does right already- so we’re building off a freer foundation than a migration of people to other parts of the world/states.

New Hampshire was picked (voted on by early participants in the project) because it was a prosperous region that was top of the list of freest places in the USA. The idea was to migrate a large number of principled libertarians to a low population state (Free State Project) for the purpose of pursing a free society.

Unlike other efforts the project didn’t pick a city- but a region. The reason for this is that a region offers more opportunities and has a higher chance at succeeding.

The original project (Free State Project)'s objectives were achieved. 20,000 people are in or working on moving to New Hampshire. We have thousands of people working in New Hampshire on changing the state. People are running for and getting elected, committing civil disobedience, promoting liberty, and taking all sorts of other actions (protests, rallies, etc).

Some like myself are promoting freedom technologically. We are creating businesses that promote liberty (Free Talk Live and Cell 411 are great examples of this). Free Talk Live is a principled libertarian run radio show that heavily promotes the migration. Cell 411 is an app that is an early start to eliminating the dependency on government for security. Instead of calling 911 for example you may click on Cell 411 and hit a button that says “i need help: car broke down; contact people nearby for help”. Another button might reach out to friends and family for help, etc.

My business helps people gain control of their devices and fight off government and corporate intrusions into our lives. You’ll never really be free if you become dependant on centralized entities and products. If you need a computer to get protection service, a job, etc and there is only one option and that one option (Microsoft) isn’t an option for you because of conditions it sets for use of its products (like a government) you’re just screwed. Or imagine Microsoft telling you that you can’t use the internet for whatever reason. Well, that’s the reality we live in today. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are telling people what they can and can’t do with their own devices. It’s harder to see right now, but you can see it. There are lots of applications for Android users that don’t exist for Apple users. There are a lot of crypto currencies for instance that don’t work on Apple phones. Apple has an interest in preventing people from using Bitcoin and other crypto currencies. It has this thing called Apple Pay. In the future when government discontinues hard currencies (some governments already have- or otherwise nearly so, india for instance) and you have only one choice (maybe that’ll be Apple) and you only have Apple pay- well- now the government has full control over you. If they want to shut you down they can (and the US government already did that with Wikileaks- they cut off access to credit cards and other payment networks).

If people bought freedom-friendly devices like my company is developing and/or funding development of that could have been averted- because these devices ensure the user remains in control- and maybe if we can make sure users retain control of their devices freedom-friendly user controlled means of transferring value- like Bitcoin would/will be an option in the future- so we’re not stuck when government doesn’t like us. Unfortunately government control of monopolistic entities or a small handful of entities is the sort of thing that is already happening today and hurting people. Google and Apple dominate and they are locking down their devices and in the future it’s not unimaginable that they’ll dictate that your only options are Google Pay and Apple Pay. And when one or the other dies off- well, now there is no option but government-regulated payment options. We can stop this- but we need to develop freedom-friendly options where users are in control of their devices. Bitcoin is one part of that. The other parts include operating systems and devices. Anyway- that is what I work on.

Greetings, Jilletta Jarvis here. I’ve lived in New Hampshire since I was in the 1st grade - so it’s been a while. I am the current Secretary of the LPNH and happy to be able to serve the Libertarians in NH to the best that I can. I learned about this forum on Free Talk Live and kept meaning to join this group of like-minded people and am looking forward to discussions with everyone. I am currently politically active and would love to support more people taking the government back from politicians and giving it back to the people.

1 Like

Welcome Jilletta!

Yea- thanks for partaking Jilletta. We need to get more people off of Facebook and onto platforms we [the community] have control over. The more decentralized the more powerful, influential, and resistant to attack we’ll be.

I never subscribed to Facebook in the first place- but unfortunately I’m a rarity and certainly understand why others have. I only know of a few people who’ve “gotten it” and never subscribed to Facebook ever and I think we’ve all avoided it out of principle. Now to undo the damage and end the censorship is more of a challenge.

If we can accomplish decentralizing off Facebook I’ll say it’ll be a big accomplishment. In fact I think we’ve already accomplished some of this and I’m really happy to see that. It’s just a telling sign that given the right circumstances liberty-minded people can get it even where they may never have thought about or understood the consequences of getting onto a single platform that is controlled not that much unlike a government entity.

For anybody who doesn’t quite understand what I mean here I’ll explain. We have had numerous people in our community attacked for political and idealogical reasons by Facebook. They’ve had accounts temporarily suspended or been banned permanently. Mostly for things that were entirely speech related and political in nature. Post a picture of topless protest? BANNED! Post a link to a ‘hate group’ (even one you don’t support) BANNED! All of this is common and I’m encountering people getting kicked or having accounts temporarily suspended on Facebook for such activities. If you haven’t been suspended or banned I’d almost wonder what your doing wrong! Are you really principled? Do you really speak your mind? Or is Facebook hindering your self expression?

Penguin - I’ve actually been banned from a couple of NH Pages due to them finding out I was a Libertarian Candidate for Governor. It was sad really that they felt that my message should not be heard…especially when they stated that all NH voices should be heard…but as a dissenting voice against the popular theory of the political duopoly my voice was just not acceptable.

Jilletta - I’m sorry - I totally spaced on upgrading your account for full forum access. You should now be able to access the full range of subforums.

I don’t know if that is the same thing, but certainly an argument for decentralization. It sounds like a particular person for a group censored you and that I also don’t like

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, Jilletta. LPNH and the Shire are lucky to have you.

1 Like

Hello