Introduction of Lisa Wilber/Weare, New Hampshire

My name is Lisa Wilber and I’ve been a card carrying member of the Libertarian Party since March 23, 1992. Although I haven’t participated in the state or national party very much (single Mom raising a daughter and running my own little business empire) - I have run for State Representative in my district every two years since 2000 - AS A LIBERTARIAN. That has been very important to me that I get on the ballot as a Libertarian – and I have. Haven’t got elected yet, but I feel like 2018 is my year! Because I’ve been on the ballot consistently for the past 9 cycles (State Representative), I do have a better than average chance in 2018 I believe. But up to this point I’ve been trying to get elected on my own without a team of like minded supporters. The Lone Ranger can only go so far - if I am serious about getting elected as a Libertarian - it’s time to start building a team. So I’m here looking for information, help and team members. Found this from Ian’s message.

1 Like

Welcome, Lisa! Cool intro - you are hardcore to run so consistently. We need more candidates like you.

1 Like

Isn’t the “Survivor” motto: Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. I use the same strategy in my business – I know I’m not the smartest cookie on the block so I may not be able to Outwit or Outplay – but if I never quit I can sure as heck Outlast them all. : ) P.S. Did I mention I have the best signs? When I figure out how to post a picture, I’ll post one for you to see. : )

1 Like

Welcome. I’d love to see your signs and trade tips.

I’m pretty new to this type of forum, so am unfamiliar with posting a picture – but you can see a picture of my big sign AND my smaller yard signs on my Facebook campaign page: https://www.facebook.com/LisaWilberForStateRep/ I purchased the yard signs - about 250 of them - many cycles ago, but am able to use the ones left because I continue to run for the same office. I did have to use white duck tape and tape over the word GOFFSTOWN when my district changed, but the fix does not look shabby (or believe me I would not use them). I started with I believe 250 signs, still have about 100 to work with next year. The big sign I have 2 - have been using them in my own front yard so they can be seen from each direction. I live on one of the only main roads in Weare (Route 114).

1 Like

How have we not bumped into you say … 10 years ago?
What issues do you run on? How have you been getting the word out previously?

I originally got the idea to run from a customer who mentioned it when I was fighting with the State of New Hampshire over my sign – the DOT had come through my little town and demanded 18 of us move our signs from in front of our businesses. In my case I found out that the State owns the property right up to our store/house (I have a business in my home) and they wouldn’t sell it back to me. BTW: the town still makes me pay commercial property taxes using the wording that I “benefit from the abutment” of the state frontage. Long story short: I was already a Libertarian. I had taken the quiz at a county fair and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was. Running for State Representative has allowed me to spread the word about being a Libertarian as well as making me more “known” in my town, which has helped my business. At the time of the sign fight, I was able to get a front page story in the Concord Monitor by changing my sign to read “BIG BROTHER STATE OF NH MAKING ME MOVE MY SIGN”. I got more business from the fight than I ever did from the sign! I have mainly used my yard signs, my two large signs, letters to the editors and the ballot access problem to get attention. I made it a big deal that I had to collect the 150 certified - had a countdown every two years that most people knew about. I did mailings supporting my signature collection to get on the ballot. I have a data base of the voters that annually have signed for me to be on the ballot. A couple of the years I was in the parade in town supporting my candidacy. My issues mainly: I’m not going to Concord to see how much bacon I can bring home to the Town - I’m going to Concord to see if I can get them to stop stealing our pig and only giving us some bacon back. For every law they pass, they should be required to eliminate an outdated/obsolete law on the books. I believe the sheer volume of laws we have make them unenforceable. I also believe that the government should not be in the landing holding business.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Awesome !

I was just in Goffstown filming a story on an incident that happened with another reporter David Ridley at New Hampshire State Prison for Women. Ridley was given a trespassing notice despite not having trespassed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1b8bBAnHV4). Also stopped by the Weare police department where Carla Gericke was arrested for filming a police traffic stop while we were out there.

It’s always great to be introduced to new faces! Especially people whom are not well connected, but here, and doing work that isn’t being recognized/known about. I would definitely keep us informed here about any run for a state rep seat as there are definitely people here who would help.

1 Like

Thank you State for making more libertarians.

I don’t know if that counts as agorism but it sure sounds financially sustainable!

Welcome Lisa! I’m rooting for you!

As a single Mom with an 11 year old daughter and my nearly 80 year old mother living with me, I need to make sure that every thing I do somehow benefits my business. Running for office has benefited my business because it has increased my name recognition. I’m fortunate that people don’t always consider Avon (direct sales) as a “business” and they have been including it when I get introduced or written about in the newspaper in regards to running for office. Usually someone might refer to a candidate like “John Smith, business man from Weare” – but with me they have tended to say “Lisa Wilber, Avon lady from Weare” - so I get a direct plug for my business. I remember one year an article was even titled “Avon Lady runs for the House”. It’s not growing vegetables, but it works for me.

1 Like

Thank you!