Heating with computers

https://www.qarnot.com/qrad/

free? Pff. Build a bitcoin mining farm in your garage and get PAID to heat the rest of the house.

2 Likes

The server farm should go in the basement. Heat rises and all that.

That would be a significant investment for hardware. And then you need to cool it in the hot weather. But if you are running a server farm anyway, you might as well use the heat.

I have a cannabis heating system. Each 1000 watt light generates around 3500 BTUs. A flower room only runs for 12 hours, so you need two flower rooms if you want 24 hour heat.

1 Like

Guess when I grew pot (medical, approved by Colorado, by law, but not licensed), and where? (Haven’t grown it in a while due to other priorities.) I pumped the exhaust into my heating fresh air return after carbon filtering.

I brought up when because in the summer, heating your basement isn’t exactly the plan. In spring and autumn, I brought in more outside air and in winter, more “dining room” air.

My grow currently is in the basement and exhausts outside, after a carbon scrub. Also I only currently run one flower room at night.

It’s almost time for me to switch the exhaust around so it vents into the first floor. I do a carbon scrub, then dehumidify, then exhauste into the living area… I have 6 registers in the first floor, 3 for intake, 3 for exhaust.

I have a couple heat recovery ventilators, but I haven’t installed them yet. That should allow me to exchange air from outside, but not dump all the heat.

Ideally I want to grow mostly in a greenhouse or outdoors in the summer and fall, then mostly indoor growing in winter and spring.

That’s one thing about Colorado. I run two humidifiers. Have never needed a dehumidifier.

As for the greenhouse, I’m with you. If I had more time and we didn’t have such hideous soil (guess that’s a similar problem in the northeast) I’d probably have started building an earthship as a greenhouse by now. I’ve used those temporary POS greenhouses to get an extra three or four weeks on the season, but they suck too much. I think with an earthship, Colorado might be ideal. My uncle digs basements. I might still entertain the idea, but it probably wouldn’t be where I currently live.

I assume they pay for the electricity? lol…

They? You mean the owners of Ryzen PRO? I would think so.

I’ve wondered how that works. Same with the network connection, but the network connection is negligible compared to the electric power cost.

Cooling is a significant cost for a data center. So I guess they save money on that. And the cost of having a data center. Hopefully they hardly ever have to do onsite service calls.

Run a data center in your basement all winner and get a check from Google. :wink:

1 Like