FTL Discussion 2017 Week 47

Free Talk Live
Sunday 11/19/2017 to
Saturday 11/25/20

Free Talk Live
Free Talk Live 2017-11-19
Nov 20, 2017 at 00:11 · 2:16:34
Space Nation Launches? :: What is a Nation? :: Free-to-Air Satellite :: Police Video :: Ricky’s Arrest :: Economics in One Lesson Book Club Resumes - Unions :: Labor Theory of Value :: Wages :: CEO Pay :: Bank Fee Schedule :: Edgington Post AFTERSHOW with Roger Ver :: HOSTS - Ian, Mark, Jonny Ray
web: freetalklive.com
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-19

Police body cameras turned from a perceived cure-all to a two-edged sword (with the sharper edge coming down on non-cops) pretty quickly. One rule that might help:

1. Police body camera footage taken of a defendant or his residence/stuff BEFORE a warrant has been issued to search that defendant/residence/stuff is inadmissible as evidence against the accused; unless

2. The accused is a cop; or

3. The alleged crime involved is an assault of a cop.

Of course, it would be better to just disband all police departments.

2 Likes

Some liberty-lovers warned us of the down side. In the hands of The State, it’s difficult to assure they’ll be used properly when it favors the public, but you can almost be assured they’ll be used or abused in such a way that favors The State and its bureaucrats.

We’ve already seen several incidents where clueless cops don’t know how to operate the equipment and exposed their own malfeasance.

3 Likes

Free Talk Live 2017-11-20
November 20th 2017
Show Topics
Outrageous Lockdown in Baltimore Neighborhood over Cop Killing :: Checkpoints in Your Neighborhood :: Banking Complaints :: Cemetery Records :: Cryogenics :: Consciousness :: Robot Gets Citizenship :: Singularity :: Sex Slave Kills Captor, Sent to Prison for Life? :: Edgington Post AFTERSHOW with Jim Bovard :: HOSTS - Ian, Melanie, Mike

1 Like

Odd that Melanie seems to think rights reside in a particular DNA configuration rather than in e.g. sapience (when she’s not thinking that rights are “granted”). I can see the argument vis a vis machines, but if sapient aliens show up, why would they not be “persons” in the same way that a member of species homo sapiens? Do current humans with significant amounts of Neanderthal DNA also have fewer rights than others?

3 Likes

Oh man… Taking about rights is a Libertarian black hole.
Everything from “Rights don’t exist” to “Rights come from the barrel of a gun” 'round here. :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve been all over the map on rights, but my current view is that they come from the ability to observe them, as a society. So if you and I can agree not to aggress against each other, and we make it a practice to uphold this commitment, we can discuss when we feel that commitment has been violated. In theory, this accord could be extended to any species.

I suppose it breaks down if any species is inclined to disregard rights and have the power to do so, which seems to be the case, in many cultures, between humans and domesticated animals. In that and similar environments, I’d say how one treats “lower forms of life” is an indicator of that person’s character. A certain level of “humanity” is to be expected, but I wouldn’t take it to the level that PETA takes it (not even close.)

2 Likes

Free Talk Live 2017-11-21
Nov 21, 2017 at 22:33 · 2:22:01
Flat Earther Building Space Rocket to Launch Himself in Saturday :: Net Neutrality :: Official Free Talk Live Merchandise Now Available at LibertyMinded.com :: Bitcoin.com Mining Pool Results :: Government Internet :: Mesh Networking :: Tiered Internet Fears :: Internet Competition :: Ricky vs Will :: Speed Camera Sarah Claims Children Starving in Albuquerque :: Edgington Post AFTERSHOW with Tate Lacey :: HOSTS - Ian, Johnson, Will
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-21

3 Likes

I got my shirts from libertyminded.com and figured that I’d share…

1 Like

Free Talk Live
Free Talk Live 2017-11-22
Nov 22, 2017 at 22:20 · 2:02:36
Congressional Sexual Assault Payoff Fund :: Is Trump Transferring Power to Congress :: Is Bitcoin mining worth it? :: Egypt Bitcoin Miners :: Guy Arrested By State Police for Bitcoin :: Altcoins :: Bitcoin Embarassing :: Open Border? :: Cannabis and Driving :: HOSTS - Ian, Mike, Will
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-22

Free Talk Live
Free Talk Live 2017-11-23
Nov 23, 2017 at 19:00 · 2:21:31
Thanksgiving :: British government issues warnings about Kodi boxes :: What are you thankful for? :: David Boaz has a list of things to be thankful for in America :: VA refusing to treat veterans who use cannabis? :: AFTERSHOW: Edginton Post :: HOSTS - Darryl & Chris
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-23

Free Talk Live
Free Talk Live 2017-11-24
Nov 24, 2017 at 22:27 · 2:01:06
Fewer Black Friday Brawls :: Shopping Fights vs Pro Wrestling :: Popularity of Viral Violent Videos :: Black Friday History :: Online Shopping Already Up Over Last Year :: Mobile Purchases :: Cutting Features :: Death of Malls :: Charleston Urban Mall :: HOSTS - Ian, Darryl, Chris W.
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-24

No Heather + Holiday + Echo Chamber = Quiet Comment Section
:rofl:

2 Likes

Free Talk Live
Free Talk Live 2017-11-25
Nov 25, 2017 at 22:16 · 2:02:18
Bitcoin Record Highs :: Ghost Guns Under Fire from Gun Control Advocates :: Violence Against Police :: Crazy Dave in NY :: Dealing With Drug Addicted Family Members :: Family Court :: Country Songs :: The So-Called Common Good :: Former Drug Addict Supports Methadone :: Pill Prescriptions :: Licensing and Certifications :: War on Drugs :: Explaining Bitcoin :: HOSTS - Ian, Chris R.
link: https://soundcloud.com/freetalklive/free-talk-live-2017-11-25

Good to hear from Dave in NY again! I’ve missed his insanity dearly.

2 Likes

Yes, my sister just had her ancestry DNA testing done, and besides finding out that “we are the whitest people on the planet”, we are apparently 78% Neanderthal (don’t ask me for details, I don’t have them), which she thinks explains why our family has such problems communicating…

1 Like

On the November 22 show, Mike said that the reason for some sort of cryptocurrency behavior was because of Gresham’s Law.

Colloquially stated as “The bad money drives out the good,” Gresham’s Law applies only to money of the same face value. The classic example of this is clipped coins of the same face value. The coin that is clipped gets spent, and the coin that is not clipped gets kept.

Another example is gold and silver certificates, and today’s FRNs. Gold and silver certificates were, per the writing on them, good for the face value in gold or silver. When they stopped printing these and issued FRNs backed by the “faith and credit of the US government,” people hoarded them.

Another example is pre-1964 dimes and quarters, which were 90% silver. People hoarded those when the coins without any silver came out.

my sister just had her ancestry DNA testing done, and besides finding out that “we are the whitest people on the planet”, we are apparently 78% Neanderthal (don’t ask me for details, I don’t have them), which she thinks explains why our family has such problems communicating

It’s probably around 2.5% Neanderthal DNA. 78 is the percentile rank. She has more than 78% of the general population.

Mine tested at a little over 3%, putting me in the 97% percentile range.