Endorsement for NH Governor

This September the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire will have its first primary election in over 20 years, which will include the first ever contested gubernatorial primary.

I could give a lengthy comparison of the resumes of the two candidates; however, I will refrain from doing so. Instead, I will list a few of the reasons I am voting for the candidate I am endorsing.

I am issuing this endorsement for a variety of reasons. Primarily, I want the Libertarian Party to nominate the candidate who will best represent the Libertarian Party and libertarian principles: repealing occupational licensing laws, ending the War on Drugs, and depenalization of sex work.

There is only one candidate in this primary who I believe will not only do a great job representing the Libertarian Party in the General Election but will also campaign alongside other Libertarian candidates running for Executive Council, State Senate, State Rep and County Office. This candidate has a history of activism within the Party…

read the full endorsement here

1 Like

what do you think is the most important or pressing issue a LP governor could address?

The multi-faceted issue that is Criminal Justice Reform: victimless crimes, mandatory minimums, warrantless searches, DUI checkpoints, etc!

2 Likes

I’d like @Jilletta to answer as well

1 Like

I could see that. On a state level and below … the punishments of the courts are so wide ranging and touch so many people

Thank you for tagging me, I get summary updates on this weekly so would have missed this otherwise until that came out.

There are so many issues that an LP governor can address but one of the issues that can be addressed directly (meaning without having to wait for the House and Senate to argue over wording) is the pardoning of non-violent Cannabis “offenders.” I would just need to work with the pardoning board to obtain a list of all non-violent offenders in on a cannabis offense. This would promote the legalization as the legislature has tried to get a bill passed multiple times now. They would see that they finally have a governor willing to sign that bill and it could move forward.

Another item is the budget as the Governor is the one who presents that. I realize that it will be fought by both House and Senate as what I would introduce would be smaller than what they want, but I’m hoping they compromise enough to lower that budget from what it is now and approve the lowering of taxes with it.

These are two IMMEDIATE things that can be done. Others the LP can influence are

• Occupational Licensing - removing any license requirement that does not support public safety SHOULD be easy enough to get approved.
  • I want to propose a constitutional amendment on Article 19 to force all warrants for search and seizure to include the specific address or vehicle to be searched. This would prevent the open Checkpoint Warrants because there would be no way to know exactly what vehicle would come through any checkpoint and should get support from the voters because it is a logical amendment.
  • I’d also support ballot access reform so independent and third parties could have equal access to the political process
  • Hemp Legalization - we can already own hemp products. It should not be difficult with cannabis legalization to include language on hemp legalization here as well. It would boost the economy, help reverse pollution, and bring down the cost of housing material (and strengthen the quality of living when used)
1 Like

What occupational license(s) does the government admit does not support “public safety” in their eyes?

I don’t think they think about it but once we really push one (like hair braiding) we can win it once they realize how many people are behind the removal of the license.

You could go straight to the jails and prison with a big long list and start making the calls to free the non-violent ones :slight_smile:

Absolutely! One big list and get it done!!

1 Like

What will you do to reduce the rate of neonatal circumcision in NH?

There is currently no law mandating circumcision.

1 Like

Sure there is. Jewish law.

There is currently no law banning neonatal circumcision for non-therapeutic reason, anywhere.