Drafting the proposed amendment

After our meeting yesterday, we discussed extending the deadline to the end of 2023, so I’ve made that change here to the current draft:

"Are you in favor of amending the first part of the New Hampshire Constitution by inserting, after article 7, a new article to read as follows:

[Art.] 7-a. [Independent Nation.] New Hampshire declares independence from the United States and immediately proceeds as a sovereign nation. The legislature, governor, and all other branches of the state government shall make all appropriate arrangements in accordance with being a self-governing nation before December 31 of 2023. All other references to the United States in this constitution and state statutes and regulations are nullified. "

2 Likes

Any other suggestions, tweaks, ideas? Feel free to throw them in here.

1 Like

I guess “immediately” could be in conflict with “before January 1 of 2023”
And did you mean to say December 31 of 2023?

1 Like

There is a slightly curious mismatch of terms in our constitution. ‘United States’ appears 7 times, whereas ‘America’ makes only two appearances.

I wonder if we need to divorce both US and USofA?

1 Like

This is now the thread to which I will probably start directing people for updates and background on this independence drive. I’ll probably post an executive summary here later.

Meanwhile detailed background is here:

"…are nullified and shall be removed from the Constitution. The legislature shall make all prudent arrangements necessary for establishing friendly relations including mutual trade, strategic alliances, and other agreements with all other willing states in the interest of the people of New Hampshire."

Yep - corrected it now, thank you.

Attempted to incorporate Mike and Alu’s suggestions here. Concerned it’s getting a little lengthy:

[Art.] 7-a. [Independent Nation.] New Hampshire declares independence from the United States and immediately proceeds as a sovereign nation. All references to the “United States” or “United States of America” in this constitution and state statutes and regulations are nullified and shall be removed. The legislature, governor, and state government shall make all prudent arrangements necessary for establishing friendly relations including mutual trade, strategic alliances, and other agreements with all other willing states in the interest of the people of New Hampshire, in accordance with being a self-governing nation before December 31 of 2023."

Should the deadline be removed? We can’t expect the other states to respond within our deadline and if the deadline passes, it’s basically meaningless. The important parts of this are that we immediately declare independence and seek to establish friendly relations, so it’s peaceful.

Tom has entered the chat :slight_smile:
he joined the email list and is on mewe … I don’t think he does this forum … but the dude from laconia does

Dave,

thank you for the invite. A Hi There, to every one.

I have no opposition to an attempt, at minimum, of a discussion on exercising enumerated rights of the NH Constitution. I am interested in listening to the discussion and how it progresses.

I am a bit bias about the amount of support for this issue after witnessing how NH residents still, in fear of getting a virus, insists that the governments and private businesses can stop people from making individual choices for themselves and their families.

Along with witnessing not only the Gen. Court’s lack of resolve to discuss repealing the RSA4:45 emergency powers but agreeing that one governmental official, in actuality, can deny individual privileges (the NH Const. refers to them as rights) plus extending the length of the denial.

I am presently involved in the attempt to help the Convention of States Action https://conventionofstates.com/ gather support in the NH Gen. Court to sign on to the attempt for a US Constitution Article V Convention of States.

With that I will be in support of an academic attempt to work out a procedure to develop, present, and influence a positive end result to put before NH residents.

Peace.

Tom

Tom Ploszaj

NH Representative

Belknap District 1 - Center Harbor & New Hampton

137 Daniel Webster Hwy Center Harbor, NH 03226

tom.ploszaj@leg.state.nh.us

https://www.tomploszaj.com/

603-279-9965

marcus from Calexit / Yes California says they befitted from asking random people they didn’t know… for suggestions on wording.

i’m planning to do that.

BTW he says he thinks NH exit has already taken the lead over Calexit just a few weeks into this still modest independence drive.

1 Like

It doesn’t hurt to ask, but we don’t want too many cooks in the kitchen at this point. Our sponsoring reps make the final decision, and once they submit the bill, it’s out of their hands for better or worse, and knowing politics, it will likely get worse.

1 Like

Shorter wording, per our discussion today:

"Are you in favor of amending the first part of the New Hampshire Constitution by inserting, after article 7, a new article to read as follows:

[Art.] 7-a. [Independent Nation.] New Hampshire declares itself as independent from the United States and immediately proceeds as a sovereign nation. All other references to the United States in this constitution and state statutes and regulations are nullified."

1 Like

gotta tell Yes California they better get going … ya never know if Trump might win in 2024

Updated with “peaceably”

[Art.] 7-a. [Independent Nation.] New Hampshire declares itself as independent from the United States and peaceably, immediately proceeds as a sovereign nation. All other references to the United States in this constitution and state statutes and regulations are nullified."

1 Like

Well after 15 hours only 1 person responded out of the 20. He wants an independent but united New England :slight_smile:

1 Like

A state rep has contacted me to recommend we do a study committee instead. I’ve invited him to make his case publicly or give me his ok to quote him.

1 Like

That would slow us down. Stalling tactic. If the state reps want to turn it into a study committee, that’s what they will do to it.

1 Like

We need to go in as planned, asking for exactly what we want. Once the reps submit the bill, they lose control and it’s up to the committee hearing the bill.

1 Like

we could do that also … if it didn’t slow down the original
just 2 separate tracks
maybe a study committee to study one aspect of it … or specifics of the #nhexit