Crypto currency vs. credit card network

There is a use case for bitcoin, but it isn’t every transaction. It doesn’t seem very good for face to face transactions.

I’ve heard people try to compare bitcoin and other crypto currencies to the credit card network.

One problem with that comparison is that on the credit card network I’m not spending my money, I am using credit…someone else’s money. I can dispute a charge, and never pay it. and I usually get a discount for using credit as some percentage as “cash back”. It also builds my credit score to use credit.

With bitcoin and other crypto currency, you have to put your own money at risk to perform a transaction. And then you are charged a transaction fee every time you want to use your money.

Bitcoin is also in the beta stage from everything I hear. That means it is in a testing phase, and there are known problems.

It seems like most bitcoin proponents are not having an honest discussion, they are marketing bitcoin.

1 Like

Zealots are zealous. In our defense, the more ubiquitous that bitcoin is, the more safe-guards, like short-term credit, will be created.

1 Like

Agreed - Bitcoin is still immature technology. It may not be with us for much longer if it doesn’t grow up.

We’re still in the “find the zealots” phase, but we’re marketing it everywhere in Keene. Let’s see what happens - the press has been good so far.

1 Like

Bitcoin was the first of its kind. I will be surprised if it makes it 10 years total without being surpassed.