Coast Guard Hostages

I just wanted to bring to attention that the coast guard members are the only federal employees involved in this shutdown that do not have the right or freedom to quit and find another job. If they do not show up for work they are subject to punishment under the ucmj. They would be considered awol if they can not fill their gas tanks and get to the base to muster for duty. They are essentially being held hostage. Yes they did indeed choose to voluntarily serve but none ever figured they would be treated so unfairly as to not be paid or have their families fed.

I figure i might share my experience of how my coast guard career ended early with a honorable under honorable conditions discharge with no negative marks on my permanent record. That is a big deal to have the highest distinction on your record when leaving the service and can effect future jobs.

They do not let people leave early except bad behavior and medical problems and then they usually get a dishonorable discharge. I did find a way to get discharged honorably and it was simple and quick. I showed up to the base stoned on thc and failed a urine test.

At that point they were obligated to offer me substance abuse classes or a quick honorable discharge. I choose the discharge and was at home within a week or so. I am not sure if the process is still the same but i thought perhaps someone might find the process intriguing right now givin the current conditions.

Love the show guys and am glad now 7 days a week on ktfs.

ETA
I have been researching and am pretty sure that this also extends to any federal employee that works in a branch that deals with drug enforcement.

Also any active members of the armed forces that have a side job that makes as much as what the military pays you can get out early with honorable record. I forget the exact percentage of your pay that is required to be made from a side job to qualify but it is a majority % of your base pay.

I’m glad you found a way to get out.

Not a good situation for them. And, I sympathize for the outcome of working for the state, while as to the matter of “but none ever figured they would be treated so unfairly”, they do now, there is both good and bad results from these events.

I hope more turn away from working for the state as a result.

The rub is that many people that join the military do so volunteering for the service. Never giving much thought of the way people are forced to pay for their volunteerism. So many recruits do it with the same spirit of libertarian that would be found in a society that perhaps would have similar services that are voluntarily funded by the people.

1 Like