Are property tax based on anything?

Hey all -

I am looking again into the idea of buying a small place outside the city. The main problem that I foresee is the continuation prop taxes that are sky high and can never be paid off. As I run on a minimal budget and would not benefit much from the lack of some other taxes, even if I got some low-value trailor on a small lot, the tax that I see listed far exceeds where I move from with a nice house. Is there any kind of scaling or adjustments that one can do to address the situation? (ps. I am not a war “veteran”).

There are locations in NH, such as the town of Grafton, that have zero property tax.

You might also want to read this blog post and possibly reach out to Mark Warden, The Porcupine Realtor.

When I owned property in Grafton, NH there was a significant property tax. There is no zoning, but I can’t imagine they got rid of the property tax. Most of it pays for public schools.

(NH Dept. of Revenue Administration) Property Taxes

2016 Total Tax Rate (per $1,000 of value) $26.1

So a property valued at $100,000 would have a $2,610 tax bill in 2016.

Best places in NH are Manchester,Nashua,Bedford,Keene,Salem,Rochester. No police or oppressive gov’t. Very low taxes. All ma & pa shops. No corporate usa. Lots of wildlife. Peace/Quiet.
Samm

…And I’m sure all these towns would be ok with a mobile home.

I may be willing to downgrade my home to one in order to move there, but the point was that it would be necessary and then the tax would still probably be higher. Whether the towns would be ok with it is not in question.

My mistake. Was thinking of the areas up North in Coos County, Wellington, maybe?

I’m no expert, that’s why I recommended they reach out to Mark.

This link make it easy to find them. If you click the header in the total tax column it will sort the 0 tax rate towns first.

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates-2017.aspx

On a more serious note, the towns up north, for the most part have lower and almost non-existent taxes which reflects the lack of town “gov’t” and services. Sacrifice gang involvement for lower taxes ? You bet.
I will say this from experience that up in the wilds there is an oppressive presence of “fish & game” and “border patrol”. Indoctrination of “outdoorsmen” in the form of “Northwoods Law” TV show to make sure they are feared by those up there and loved by the sheep down south. NH fish and game and Maine’s DIFW are basically Nazi stormtrooper boot-lickers. Part of their real job is to make revenue with wildlife and attempt to keep tabs on survivalists . It’s still not as bad as populated areas as far as thuggery goes. If you’re the outdoorsy type I recommend up north.
Samm