New From California

Hows it going!

My name is Isaac and I recently relocated here after spending my entire life in Southern California (fan of the weather, not so much the politics). I’m in my mid 20’s, work in the IT industry, and fancy myself an amateur farmer. I first learned about The Shire from FTL/FSP, which I actually found through reddit (/r/Bitcoin shoutout) a few years ago. I’m currently living/working in Southern New Hampshire, but plan to move elsewhere (not sure where) in the next few years, once I can afford a decent plot of land. A self sufficent, off the grid homestead is the plan.

Looking forward to seeing what freedom is actually like

-Isaac

1 Like

This guy here, he’s basically me but a few hundred miles to the north :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Isaac. So, you are moving to the North Country from Southern NH?

First,

Welcome!

2nd, not to be critical, but doesn’t that seem a bit contradictory if you fancy a farm? Or I guess other people jumped to the northern New Hampshire conclusion. By contradictory I mean northern New Hampshire is kinda cold and might not work well for farming. We’re not quite northern New Hampshire here in Keene, but are a bit north of the border, so lots of land.

I’m sort of in the IT business myself. We’ve got at least two others here in Keene also in that business or something close to it. I personally run a GNU/Linux computer outfit (I have a degree in Computer Science, a B.S., which I joke stands for bull shit, and in a past life coded a bit prior to that). Actually in the middle of a call out for resumes and will be starting to interview people shortly. We’re fairly small so it’s basically tier 1 support with a variety of hats (phones/sales/tier 1 support/getting orders out the door/etc). Bob does embedded software development (http://www.librecmc.org/). Josh is an electrical engineer (I believe) here in Keene although is or was doing mostly IT support. David is also doing IT (remote support mostly). We have a few other people with technical backgrounds. Johnson, Cody, and I think even Ian are anywhere between technical to semi-technical. Unfortunately we had our two more technical activists who’ve been here for a while move. Probably not forever, or at least they’ll be back in NH at some point.

We’re not quite off-the-grid here, but we got people nearby who are, Mark & Family, they’re more independent (small ‘farm’, like pigs, they grow some food, have a bunch of land, have well water, self-sustained heating via some sort of wood burning contraption, unsure about the electric, etc ). A bunch of people here have radios too though, but if you are outside of town you might not be able to get a signal. I’m on the outskirts of town and can still get a signal with a small handheld radio outside my house (we have aluminium siding though), but with a big external antenna on the house the radios still work pretty well. We also have people on the other side of town where it can be a little sketchy with the handheld radios. I suspect though if you had a external antenna on the house it would still work just fine (I know even the handheld ones work just around the corner, it might be the mountains getting in the way though, so maybe an external antenna wouldn’t work, not 100% sure). We also have some people who are sort of living off-grid in town (no running water, electricity, heat, etc). Ohh and another person whose fairly rugged. Unsure his exact housing situation. I think he lives in a cabin or something far off the beaten trail.

1 Like

Welcome Isaac! If you are ever in Portsmouth I’ll be glad to give you The World Famous Bitcoin Tour :smiley: