Living in Nicaragua, Shire-bound someday

Tell us about yourself.
I’m Patrick. I was born in San Diego and for the last 12 years I had lived about 1 hour north of there. Living life, doing the career thing, got married, bought a loan on a house, had a kid. I rejected faith as a child, figuring out that gods and magic don’t exists in my reality. I’ve never been a follower, never been obedient. I was very much against war so it seemed to make sense to vote for Obama. After voting for Obama in 2008, figuring I’d see some change that never came, I entered into some sort of apathy. Even being beat up by cops didn’t really wake me up but it did get me into learning more about how much harm cops do… eventually I found videos from this guy Adam Kokesh, he was getting beat up by cops on the reg. That was about 5 years ago. One day he said the word Voluntaryism and from there delved into philosophy, searching out the dark corners of the internet for conversations on reality, nihilism, egoism, voluntary exchange, the nature of the state. I reached out to people in my area, finding Liberty on the Rocks, then Libertopia, I then started working on LIBERTY.menu which is a directory for liberty businesses that I built (I’ve been thinking of relaunching it with a more Shire centric purpose). In 2014 I went to PorcFest and there I realized I needed to be doing more for myself, and that I wanted to do more for my son and the rest of humanity. I wasn’t going to leave this world without being able to honestly say to myself that I fought my ass off to make humanity better. A few months later my wife and I started a long process of coming to terms with this, getting our ideas together, networking with other liberty minded folk, and, the most difficult part, leaving our 8 year career at our family’s mid-sized construction company. At the beginning of 2016 we started selling off nearly everything we owned. We sold 90% of our stuff, we sold our cars, we sold our house. Well, we kept 1 car and all our camping gear and hit the road for 6 months, making the Mises Circle in Seattle, flew out to the Shire for 2 weeks and went to PorcFest, FreedomFest in Vegas and then JackFest in Arizona, then spent 3 months staying in San Diego hanging out with friends and family. I chronicle some of that at BeVoluntaryist.com. We sold that car, boxed up the camping gear and stored it with the other 10% of the stuff we kept, all ready to be shipped to the Shire when we are ready.Had a great Turkey Day and flew off to Nicaragua 2 days later. We’ve been here for almost 4 weeks now. We are working on a business venture here that we hope someday will allow us to live in Central America and the Shire… if it doesn’t work out here though we are Shire-bound full time.

Why are you here?
I’m not sure. Where else would I be? I think to have better, longer conversations than on bookface and to bounce ideas around, get information.

How did you find the Shire Society?
Probably on bookface. Def. seen it mentioned on FreeKeene.

My interests include:
Philosophy, economics, business, entrepreneurship, tiny house, home design, construction, farming, cooking, peaceful parenting and general socializing with like-minded people. I also very much enjoy spreading the good word of Voluntaryism and honing that skill.

1 Like

Wow, great intro!

Good plan selling off the stuff. You can always get more stuff after you move.

Regarding the business directory idea - your site looks great! You appear to be a doer, not a talker. There has long been a history of a BUNCH of talk about such projects. Seems like every couple of years someone has the idea of a porcupine business directory. It almost never materializes. If they ever get something off the ground it becomes useless because it’s not updated over time.

Here’s the embarrassing obviously-aborted attempt by the FSP: https://freestateproject.org/resources/community/porcupine-owned-businesses

That’s the first link when searching “porcupine business directory nh” on google.

2 Likes

My plan is to never have that much stuff again, but yeah, I’d never move with all that. I was able to get it down to 15 boxes and those fit in my parent’s attic.

1 Like

Hi Patrick. I was at Jackfest also. I sold bullet proof coffee. I am sure we met. It would great to have you here. I am going to get in to the property tax thing this spring. So hoping to figure that out.

I hope to see you here some day! I think the majority here would agree with the sentiment that there is no hope anywhere, but if we’re going to defy reality or fight to the death it’s best to do so together. Here in New Hampshire it’s happening.

I’ve been actively partaking in “cop blocking” which is basically utilizing the rights we have to film officials for the purpose of holding officials accountable [or attempting to at least]. In practice it’s probably more valuable in its ability to entertain people (due to the insane reactions police and officials have to accountability) and I feel most importantly its potential ability to attract people to New Hampshire. We can show that there are people here who aren’t lying down in the face of their rights and freedoms being trampled. Alone and spread out we are hopeless to achieve anything, but together we can at least be a real thorn in the side of the abusers.

Check this out (not “cop blocking”, but it’s still accountability, and you can see the reaction of the security officials in the court to us filming, they attempted to lie and intimidate me and Ian, but I refused to stop recording and called his bluff, or it might just be the judge had to give him the OK to arrest us and she didn’t, but either way we won one little battle, on the other hand the case we were filming didn’t really go anywhere- they just continued their delay tactics):

Here are some of the videos of us standing up to the police intimidation when doing our job (filming police for accountability):

It’s mostly JP (he’s like the longest most dedicated ‘cop blocker’ from even before the FSP started), but David Jurist and myself have been getting involved and learning the tricks of the trade. We’ve been joining him on the weekends for quite a number of weeks now. Learning, developing, and helping to take over New Hampshire for those who prefer liberty to tyranny.

There are also BitCoin initiatives (spreading a non-governmental means of exchanging value) we’re focused on. Teaching businesses what BitCoin is, asking them to accept it, etc. We’re getting closer and closer to a point where we won’t be dependent on government to trade. People have “lived” off BitCoin, but the reality is we’re still not anywhere near the point of being able to pay directly for all the things one needs in life. However it’s getting pretty close. I can fly, eat, rent an apartment, rent a hotel room, buy my electronics, pay for car insurance (not that this is mandatory in NH), and so much more.

Ian is very active in getting the word out on jury nullification and don’t take the plea deal. I’m not sure who else is partaking. I’ve wanted to do it, but haven’t managed to get up yet early enough to actually partake in this (I work late often).

There are also other things like Cell 411 people are promoting (great idea, but am not a fan of the implementation because it’s got a central player in control and I feel that is contradictory to what we should be doing/promoting). It basically gives people a means of communicating with each other for the purposes of security. So instead of calling upon the government (which has no obligation to asset in an emergency, multiple supreme court rulings say this) to save you it lets you call upon family, friends, and good Samaritans nearby that may be able to help you. It’s a good demo of what is possible and how one day we may be able to get rid of the government monopolies here that are responsible for security (security-theatre in practice). Other commercial security companies will additional pop up to do patrols as well I’m sure. Similar to what is happening in Detroit (ie government went bankrupt and police response time is so bad that people are having to pay for private security patrols, etc).

1 Like

We did meet. We were on the corner across from you and Davi, next to Derrick and Donna. We had the tent and the hammocks up where all the kids hung out.

What is the ‘property tax thing’? Do you mean you plan on buying property?

I’ve been looking at land all over. We drove around a few days before and after PorcFest this last year. I didn’t make it out to Keene. I’ll be looking everywhere outside the cities and flatland. Liked some land I saw online, not in person, in the Groton / North Groton area.

LIBERTY.menu is a nice looking website.

Thanks David. My buddy who did the graphic design really picked some great colors. He is still involved with the project and will be helping out in the future more too. Some of these convos have motivated me to proceed with Beta 2. It will have a similar directory but with some much needed fixes to the organizational schema. It will have an easier menu system and be mobile friendly. It will also have better search functions and lots of social elements.

I had to do a bit of digging, but I appear to have met you Patrick. I’m familiar with liberty.menu from one event or another. We’ve been to Liberty Forum, Porcfest, and various other GNU/Linux oriented events. Somewhere along the way I’m pretty sure we have met.

We are listed in liberty.menu’s system and I just updated our address (ie I moved our main operations from NJ to NH this past March). I have control over an account on liberty.menu and it looks like I or someone from TP has communicated with you too. But I’m pretty sure I personally have met you at one of the events.

Liberty Forum 2015 and PorcFest 2016. I’m a fan though your systems don’t meet my needs. I love the PCMCIA idea. Normally I’d say “white dude with a really big beard and long hair” but in this community that means little. I’m JABA. Just another bearded anarchist. :slight_smile: I’ve officially mentioned that the Beta 2 is underway. Spent a good 8 hours on it today and the progress is going well. It will mean a new organizational schema so I’ll be reaching out to see who is active of the listers and users and get them on the new system. I estimate 3 months tops. Thanks for updating your current listing. The site does get a few thousand hits a month. Though some of it is spam with a bounce around 15%. I’ll be trying to get ride of the spam and lower the bounce rate of course, among a lot of other planed new services.

1 Like

I remember you now, I think you had the camper with the generator built in, we talked about that.

I am buying some cheap land in Grafton to try to get it off the tax rolls.

Nah I didn’t have a trailer. Remember Derrick’s ambulance that was providing the bitcoin WiFi? next to him, on the corner, in the trees, I was the teal tent and hammocks with my red durango nearby. We didn’t talk much, just said hi a few times.

My son had his 5th birthday party there - maybe you remember that. :slight_smile:

next time we meet I’ll point myself out as the dude from the forums.