Is siding with Facebook censorship the Liberatarian thing to do?

The New York Times reported that sites purged included “Right Wing News, which had more than 3.1 million followers, and left-wing pages that included the Resistance and Reverb Press, which had 240,000 and 816,000 followers.” The Washington Post reported that some purged accounts “had been in existence for years,” and “amassed millions of followers,” supporting both “conservative or liberal ideas.” The Post reported that Facebook only named five of the purged sites. Read more https://heavy.com/news/2018/10/facebook-purge-list-deleted-accounts/

I think siding with Facebook is the Liberatarian thing to do because it is their webpage, its not mine, don’t tell me what I can and can’t do on my webpage but I don’t want to side with Facebook cause I think they may have used the state as an unfair advantage along the way to get so big and I just don’t like censorship.

This is a tough one for me.

No, Facebook is NOT “Private,” Their Censorship Arm is Government Funded https://thefreethoughtproject.com/heres-why-facebook-is-anything-but-private/

I don’t know I don’t even have Facebook, the name sounded weird to and stupid to me right from the start “a book of faces” still sounds weird to me Face + Book … and I never signed up but this is BS all this censorship.

2 Likes

Even if Facebook is a truly private company it wouldn’t be “libertarian” to side with it because it’s proven itself to be very morally unscrupulous. I think libertarians should take some advice from Treebeard: “Side? I am on nobody’s side, because nobody is on my side."
I look forward to the day when people stop affiliating libertarianism with corporate dick sucking, but while Cato and Reason are still taken seriously I doubt it’ll happen anytime soon.

For me being a libertarian one of the most difficult things I have have had to come to terms with is that fact individuals and companies have the right to do stupid things. If I own Facebook I have the right to make my own rules. It doesn’t mean that I can’t make my views know and take my business else where. In 2018 I dropped my twitter and facebook accounts and move to a different server.

1 Like