Interfaith Group Turning Trashed Home into NH's First Full-Time Mosque - Donations NOW MATCHED!

Originally published at: https://freekeene.com/2017/09/24/interfaith-group-turning-trashed-home-into-nhs-first-full-time-mosque-donations-now-matched/

Multiple full truckloads of garbage and junk were removed this week, totaling several hundred dollars in dump fees.It’s been a crazy week, but major progress has been made turning a house that was trashed by its previous “libertarian” tenants into NH’s first full-time mosque. The Masjid al Latiff and Interfaith Community Center (MALIC Center) is…

1 Like

Just curious. The post begs the question: Were the tenants professed libertarians and proved not to be through actions, or just somehow because there were slobs? (Perhaps because they were being slobs to the point of aggression? I guess there could be that possibility.)

Violated their agreement in multiple ways prior to eviction. Then violated a subsequent agreement to leave without going to the state.

1 Like

Does that mean the state was used to kick them out?

I am wondering about the donation of the property. What exactly was donated? The deed to the property, or the use of the property?

Will mentions the owner not wanting hardwood floors covered. I assume that means he is not currently the owner.

Wasn’t an oz of silver paid during Somali fest? What was that for?

I question if $3000 for a sign the best use of donations.

After one of the tenants had threatened to use the courts early on, I got them to voluntarily sign a property relinquishment form, which is their legal agreement to leave by a certain deadline with no intention to return. On the final day the tenant once again threatened to squat on the property, so I gave them a no trespass notice. I never actually had to call KPD on them because they left that night.

The next day they went to KPD against me trying to get KPD to allow them into the property to get their stuff. I explained my position to KPD and never heard back from KPD. The tenants did not like that I’d told them they have to remove their garbage that had been sitting by the road for two weeks prior to getting their stuff. They begrudgingly removed it and I allowed them to retrieve the stuff they wanted.

No ounce of silver was paid during Somaliafest. That transaction has yet to occur. At this point the Church still owns the property until the MALIC Center can get their nonprofit incorporation together and we can conduct the actual sale.

I’ll mention the $3k sign to Will. I think he’s changed his signage plans and maybe forgot to update.

1 Like

Sadly, we live in a world in which some of the services many people depend on are provided by The State. This leaves libertarians in an awkward position of choosing to do without what may be a valuable service or appeal to a state agency, when in a libertarian world, such services would no doubt be provided by the market. I try not to be on my libertarian high horse because of that reality, and would not be critical of the occasional use of law enforcement for legitimate ends, when market solutions would not be practical because of the very existence of The State.

I think some self-described libertarians do not quite understand that a libertarian society would not be a utopia. Of course you recognize this, Ian. I think when self-described libertarians have real-world conflict it provides teaching opportunities for us all.

I’m glad you were able to work things out, somewhat, without violence ensuing.

1 Like

I agree. And I think this is why both voluntaryism and agorism are needed. It would be nice to have an area full of agorists, and Keene is ripe for it. Problem is, many give it up too quickly or expect too much.

I think the agreement Ian made was a good alternative until local agorists could form private alternatives to state services.

Vigilance!

1 Like