Interested in the Free State

Hello! My name is Craig Thomas. I have been a professional musician living in “Taxafornia” for over 40 years. I’m going through a divorce and I I’m getting close to retirement age, although I don’t really want to retire at this time…I love what I do! I’ve been a libertarian for 45 years. I love California but I’m getting tired of the abusive government here and the housing is ridiculously expensive. It would be difficult to start over again at age 65, but I have made a decent living playing and teaching music and I’m wondering if I could do this in New Hampshire. Here’s my website: http://www.craigthomasmusic.com

I played in Londonderry in 2012 with the classic rock artist Jim Messina(from Poco and Loggins and Messina) who I still play with, at the Tupelo Music Hall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyvTVPkW04U …that’s me playing saxophone and flute…

If there are any musicians or music enthusiasts on this forum who would like to give me their views on the music scene in NH, please chime in…Take care, everyone, Craig

Welcome!

Hey Craig! Welcome. I don’t know anything about the music scene here. I hope to see you in New Hampshire sometime.

Hey Craig!

So this is actually something, as someone who recently moved here, that I have a strong opinion on.  Quite frankly I didn’t expect much when I moved here from the music scene, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I am not a music performer, but I am an avid music listener.  It’s always been a huge part of my life.  The bands that I’ve found to follow up here are unparalleled.  The local music scene is just imploding with so much original art and music–it’s actually one of my favorite things about living in the Northeast.  I know that music festivals are popping up everywhere, but there are tons of them up here.  As a musician, I feel like you would absolutely love it.  There is a bar in Manchester that I frequent (despite the fact we live an hour away) that usually has some really awesome local acts. 

Also, Boston, NYC and Burlington are all within 5 hours driving :). 

Hey KarenElizabeth, thanks so much for the response. I’m playing in NY and Conn. in July with Messina, and I’m planning on staying(after 7/18) on the east coast to visit family down in MD-VA but will also check out NH. Let’s keep in touch. Take care, Craig

Hi Ian and Derrick,
I’m a big fan of FTL and I enjoy your show very much. I’ve called in, but I’ve been really busy, but I’ll try and call in when I can. Take care, Craig

I’m going to be headed to NH on July 18th and I’ll be there until the 21st. At this time I’m thinking Keene the night of the 18th and then head over to Manchester and perhaps Portsmouth. Would love to meet with some libertarians for a beer or whatever…

Hey Craig, how did you like Portsmouth?

I loved Portsmouth! Heard some great music by Aoife O’Donovan…it’s a great coastal, harbor city.

I’m visiting New Hampshire for a week at the end of July…I’ll be in Portsmouth July 29-30…

also with the distances you are used to (SoCal) Boston would be on your map … say if you where based out of Portsmouth.

I know Boston would be within earshot…I have a friend who teaches at Berklee who was a top studio guitarist in LA…

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Newbie from Cheshire County