Howdy from the land of big oil and big hair!

Hello, all!  My name is Jennifer (most people just call me "Jenn") and I am planning on moving to the Keene area around May-ish with Brad/Stooge (he's all ready introduced himself).  We plan to buy some land, do some farming, and raise a couple of heathens.

I can't really define my political leanings except to say they verge on anarchism, but with a hint of caution.  I just wanted to get on here, maybe get to know some people, and find out what's going on in Keene. 

Jenn

Hello and Welcome!

Thank you!  Glad to be here.    :slight_smile:

Welcome.

Fantastic - see you soon!

Welcome! ;D

Welcome.

Hey Jenn!
What would be the ideal set of things happening here for you?

That's easy.  New experiences. New people. New thoughts.

In a nutshell, a "new life", different from the one I've had thus far.  :slight_smile:

1 Like

That's kind of a tough question. Could it be narrowed a bit?

i am cautious of your anarchism

farming eh?

Technically, Brad is the anarchist.  And, while I like a lot of what he has to say regarding the subject, I don't really know THAT much about anarchism.  My wording in my original post was poorly thought out.

As to the farming, our plan is to buy an undeveloped piece of land and farm in a small scale, utilizing a method of farming called "permaculture" with the intent of becoming self-sufficient.  There's obviously a whole lot more to that, but I don't want to go into unwarranted or unasked-for detail.  ;D

1 Like

In his July 1976 Playboy interview, Karl Hess was asked what constituted an anarchist.  Hess replied, "Good neighbor, good lover, good friend."  "That's all?" the interviewer pushed.  "What did you expect," Hess shot back, "rules?"

1 Like

[quote author=JustJenn link=topic=2717.msg30478#msg30478 date=1267841352]

In a nutshell, a "new life", different from the one I've had thus far.   :)
[/quote]

That about describes my time here - it's been a new life, for sure.

I dont understand.  If you want new, then more new is better than a little new, right?  So if you move to Yemen or Mongolia, it would be way better than New Hampshire wouldn't it?

[quote author=TackleTheWorld link=topic=2717.msg30529#msg30529 date=1267928741]
I dont understand.  If you want new, then more new is better than a little new, right?  So if you move to Yemen or Mongolia, it would be way better than New Hampshire wouldn't it?
[/quote]

Well, the reasons for moving to New Hampshire, in particular, are somewhat varied.  We plan to buy some land to build a solar/wind-powered home and start a farm that will hopefully lead to a high level of self-sufficiency.  We want to raise a family, preferably in a place where we are (more) free to homeschool, etc.  I currently have quite a lot of dealings at my workplace with people from NH, so every time I speak with them I ask for feedback about NH.  Is this a good place to live, raise kids, and so on?  I have yet to hear anything that I consider to be a real negative about NH, except perhaps the winter weather (although I did live in the mountains in Oregon for five years, so even that doesn't scare me).  Also, the Free Keene movement is, I believe, a positive thing that I/we can get behind.  I hope that better answers your question, but feel free to ask more if it doesn't.  I really am looking forward to getting there and becoming part of this community.

[quote author=FTL_Ian link=topic=2717.msg30505#msg30505 date=1267902601]
[quote author=JustJenn link=topic=2717.msg30478#msg30478 date=1267841352]

In a nutshell, a "new life", different from the one I've had thus far.   :)
[/quote]

That about describes my time here - it's been a new life, for sure.
[/quote]

I look forward to that, both the "bad" and the "good".  At least I'll be out of Texas.  :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote author=JustJenn link=topic=2717.msg30560#msg30560 date=1267980772]
[quote author=TackleTheWorld link=topic=2717.msg30529#msg30529 date=1267928741]
I dont understand.  If you want new, then more new is better than a little new, right?  So if you move to Yemen or Mongolia, it would be way better than New Hampshire wouldn't it?
[/quote]
 I really am looking forward to getting there and becoming part of this community.
[/quote]

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

don't be too disappointed with the poor performance of your wind/solar generators … we don't have much wind or sun here
also most of the land in NH is really poor for growing crops … there are very few farms here, but we can grow trees really well

[quote author=russellkanning link=topic=2717.msg30607#msg30607 date=1268031007]
don't be too disappointed with the poor performance of your wind/solar generators … we don't have much wind or sun here
also most of the land in NH is really poor for growing crops … there are very few farms here, but we can grow trees really well
[/quote]

Yeah, the research we've done about NH has shown that all to be true.  However, we also plan to significantly cut our energy consumption to the point that we can live off the grid, with solar and wind power providing the bare minimum we need (potentially hydro as well, depending on what kind of land we end up getting).  As to the land, permaculture has been shown to work reasonably well in a lot of areas that are not considered good for farming, so our hope is that we can make it work there as well.  But only time will tell.  If nothing else, it'll be an adventure of sorts.

1 Like