Cantwellville, Maine

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/19/news/state/maine-town-manager-promotes-racial-segregation/

The town manager of Jackman calls Islam “the scourge of Western civilization” and suggests that the United States would be better off if people of different races “voluntarily separate.”

Tom Kawczynski moved to Maine about a year ago and began New Albion, a group that declares those sentiments on its website, and promotes “traditional Western values emphasizing the positive aspects of our European heritage” in northern New England and Maritime Canada.

Kawczynski, 37, told the Bangor Daily News that he wants to preserve this region’s white majority and keep out Muslims, but rejected the idea that his views are racist, saying that people of different racial backgrounds are welcome in his movement as long as their culture is “rooted in Western civilization”

Wow,” said Rachel Healy, a spokeswoman for American Civil Liberties Union of Maine, when asked about Kawczynski’s views. “That’s shockingly racist.”

Kawczynski said, “We are pro-white without being anti-other groups in terms of their racial identity. But we … oppose the idea of bringing people in from the outside that come from different cultures.”

“I would say unequivocally that I see Islam as fundamentally incompatible with Western civilization,” he added.

Kawczynski was hired by Jackman amid the rise of the so-called alt-right and a resurgence around the country of white nationalist movements that have felt buoyed by the election of President Donald Trump. Kawczynski was active in Trump’s campaign in New Hampshire.

Albion was a term used by the ancient Greeks to refer to the island of Britain. New Albion’s membership includes a “few dozen people across the state,” Kawczynski said. He said that he would not apply the label “white nationalism” to himself or his movement.

In a post on the group’s website, Kawczynski wrote that “while I am not an absolutist on race, understanding the many complications created by the American system, I do believe to the extent we voluntarily separate, the happier every group will be as they regain self-determination.” Another post refers to Islam as “barbarism.”

Kawczynski said that he has talked about New Albion to some of Jackman’s selectmen but only in a “general sense,” that he keeps his personal views on race and culture largely separate from town business and that they do not represent those of the town government.

“I do not run [Jackman] in a way where we in any way discriminate against anyone who is there. And we follow all the guidelines. And we respect everyone that comes through,” Kawczynski said.

Nevertheless, he added that he does see an “natural overlay” between the mission of New Albion and his work for Jackman. “It is something that I am trying to integrate in the sense that I’m trying to develop our community,” he said. “But I do not make that relationship explicit.”

Jackman, located in Somerset County near the Canadian border, had a population of 862 in 2010, the most recent census.

Three Jackman selectmen did not immediately respond to requests for comment. After initially supplying a reporter with phone numbers for two selectmen, a clerk at the Jackman town office said she could not give out phone numbers or email addresses for the elected officials.

Kawczynski was hired as manager from among 14 applicants followings multiple interviews and a background check, according to a press release from the town. He started his job last June and said his views on race and culture did not come up during the interview process.

“The hiring process included the Board as well as six citizens who went to great lengths in reviewing each application,” the release said.

Originally from Arizona, Kawczynski said that he and his wife moved to New Hampshire and then to Maine, after years in Pennsylvania.

In 2011, Kawczynski ran for county executive in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, as an independent, according to PoliticsPA. And he said that he and his wife moved after Pennsylvania’s “cultural and political divides … put danger to people’s quality of life.”

In New Hampshire, Kawczynski was also politically active. He served as Lisbon town chair for Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. Kawczynski said that “a lot of people” come to northern New England for reasons similar to his. And he is encouraging more to do so on the website GAB.

#AltRight #ProWhite #Folkist #ComeHome to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont!” Kawczynski’s profile on the site, which is a major forum for the alt-right, states.

Kawczynski frequently shares his political views on the website and his personal Facebook page. His posts include calls for the deportation of immigrants protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy, questions about “why Europeans let Islam run over them” and statements such as, “it’s no accident unattractive women make up the vast majority of feminists.”

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Kawczynski wrote on GAB: “I’m actually glad not to have today off. #NotMyHoliday

I guess Maine is far enough away at the edge of the world that nobody really cares about coming to protest anything there.

1 Like

maybe not on media schedule

The internet is getting offended.

As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 862 people, 383 households, and 228 families residing in the town. The population density was 20.9 inhabitants per square mile (8.1/km2). There were 726 housing units at an average density of 17.6 per square mile (6.8/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 96.4% White, 0.1% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.

1 Like

The Internet has already set up the gallows, then. Only formal legal paperwork and procedure briefly stalls his inevitable fate in this era.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/20/news/state/maine-official-behind-pro-white-group-says-he-expects-to-be-out-of-job-soon/

The town manager of Jackman, responding to a backlash on social media and some selectmen questioning his pro-white views expressed on a website, said he expects to lose his job soon.

“I don’t know anything yet, but I strongly suspect that I’ll be needing to be doing something else soon,” Tom Kawczynski, 37, told the Bangor Daily News Saturday morning.

Kawczynski said Friday that he wants to preserve the region’s white majority and keep out Muslims but rejected the idea that his views are racist, saying people of different racial backgrounds are welcome in his movement, as long as their culture is “rooted in Western civilization.”

He also expressed his views in detail on the New Albion website and on the social network site Gab.

Kawczynski confirmed to the BDN that he posted the following message on Gab on Saturday morning.

“I’m guessing I should be working on my resume as my public sector career looks likely to draw to a close in one form or another. Do any gabbers need a smart writer who has plenty of skills to do independent work from home? I plan on writing a book about this all now.”

He has self-published books.

Selectmen Jayme French and Charles Lumbert did not immediately respond to calls for comment about Kawczynski’s views or whether the town manager would be asked to resign.

Maine Public reached two Jackman selectmen Friday afternoon. After reading several posts, Lumbert said selectmen were “concerned enough to contact the town’s attorney, who advised them not to discuss them publicly.”

The Jackman Chamber of Commerce’s Facebook page has been active with comments decrying Kawczynski’s viewpoints.

Kawczynski moved to Maine from New Hampshire last year. He was active in the Trump campaign in New Hampshire.

He was hired as manager from among 14 applicants after multiple interviews and a background check, according to a news release from the town. He started his job last June and said his views on race and culture did not come up during the interview process.

Kawczynski told the BDN on Saturday that he had no interest in further talking to the media.

“You guys [the media] managed to destroy me, congratulations,” he said. “I’d appreciate it if you let the thing die so I can at least exit with some dignity.”

1 Like

I wonder how many black supremacists who are open about their feelings work for the government.

Looks like he will be fired on 1/23 at an emergency meeting at 8:30am

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/22/news/state/jackman-residents-distance-themselves-from-embattled-town-manager/#gallery_1

Fired.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/23/news/state/jackman-town-manager-fired/

Select Board Chairman Jayme French said Kawczynski would be paid $30,000 upon signing a contract not to take legal action against the town.

It might have been an interesting court case about getting fired for your beliefs outside of the workplace, if he could find a lawyer to take it.

I’ve met this guy and his wife; we have some mutual friends let’s say. He’s not a racist or hateful person like Cantwell. Anyone with half an objective brain can read his writing and find that out. Usual fake news media trying to get some outrage clicks/ad revenue.