Bitcoin accepted at BDSM social network

After a few setbacks in the last year, Fetlife dot com is now accepting Bitcoin.

Thanks to U.S. financial institutions - specifically credit card processors - the site’s owner JohnBaku had to add a couple fetishes on the list of things users cannot sexualize on the site.

The uproar caused JohnBaku to accept Bitcoin after a barrage of comments about crypto-currencies, specifically Bitcoin. For the fifteen minutes in 2013 they accepted it, they didn’t try to help anyone learn how to use it. This time, they linked some elementary videos.

I specifically wrote and commented they need to learn crypto-currency and look into phasing into just using that. And a few random videos won’t help (one was sorely outdated last I checked).

This month a new British law was passed regarding age verification, and an admin of the site is saying it could affect the site. This time, a conversation of crypto-currency, VPNs, and Tor are being hashed out where even the admins of the site are talking.

But they have little faith and still plan to work with authorities with age verification.

If you’re on Fetlife and now a thing or two about Bitcoin, here’s an opportunity to inform. If not, hey, at least Bitcoin is getting some attention in mysterious places.

F’c that. Move the site to Tor or Freenet or something. I’m not familiar with that site in particular, but I’m not naive. They should post a message about shutting down and then recommend people install Tor Browser or Freenet and direct them to an anonymous discussion site to reorganize. Heck- then point people @ the Free State Project and Shire Society. I would bet the best activists come from oppressed segments of society like this. I really hate discrimination and this is the worst kind. They’re oppressing TWO different segments of society here.

1 Like

I agree. But I doubt the owners of Fetlife are libertarian. I mean, they’re cooperating with the government anytime they pass laws like that. I’ve suggested they just do what they want to do and then challenge their oppressive behinds in the courts and spread awareness.

I’m not sure I’ll even renew my subscription when it runs out. But I hope the tech-savvy libertarians on the site will get inspired to compete.

I didn’t realize this was a site of a commercial nature.

:frowning:

That’s probably why they are cooperating. It’s very difficult to profit on the internet without the acceptance of credit cards and similar. If they were big enough though and not profit motivated and pretty much dominated their domain switching over to Tor/Freenet would probably work.

Yeah, but they’re not market-oriented. Much of the site is free, but if you want to watch videos, view a longer history of pictures, and some stuff like that you have to pay. And the owner is a liberal. You know, the more I talk about this the more I regret paying for it.